8 Ways to Boost Your Self-Confidence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

The start of a new school year can be exciting, but it can also be somewhat intimidating. Between meeting new people, assignments, and events, it’s easy to become quickly overwhelmed. Sometimes you lose sight of what’s truly important to yourself and your own success. To help stay positive, here are a few ways to boost your self-confidence when you’re feeling down!

1. Take a Break from Social Media

Sometimes it can be nice to sign out of Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook for a few days. Seeing what others are doing constantly can make you feel lonely or unmotivated. If Kim Kardashian-West can take a break for her mental well-being, so can you.

2. End Your Toxic Relationships

Being in any relationship, whether it be romantic or platonic, can have serious implications regarding the way that you perceive yourself. Surround yourself with positive people who bring out the best in you. If necessary, you may need to “break up” with a few negative Nellies.

3. Exercise

Exercising is a great way to clear your mind of negative thoughts. Any sort of movement to get yourself up and moving is helpful to your body, from a short walk to a fitness class at the athletic centre on campus!

4. Get a Good Night’s Sleep/Take a Nap

Getting a good night’s sleep is crucial to feeling well and performing your best. It is also another great way to clear your head on a rough day. A good nap will leave you feeling refreshed and ready to conquer anything!

5. Celebrate Small Victories

Give yourself credit where it’s due! For example, if you lack confidence in school and you receive a good mark, don’t be afraid to brag a little bit! Hang your assignment up on your fridge as a reminder of how well you did. Reflect back on the compliment that someone gave you on your shirt. All of these victories add up!

6. Listen to Your Favourite Music

It’s amazing how a song you love can completely change your mood. When waking up in the morning, getting ready for class, or even eating breakfast, put on a playlist of songs that pump you up and make you feel good about yourself. As Demi Lovato would say, “What’s wrong with being confident?”

7. Do One Thing a Day that Scares You

Stepping outside of your comfort zone can be scary, but you can be proud of yourself once you’ve done it! If you’re shy, try to strike up a conversation with one new person who you come across in your day. Give someone a compliment. Later you can pat yourself on the back for trying something new!

8. Find a Good Listener

Find someone that you can confide in and who makes you feel comfortable. Friends and family are great for cheering you up and reminding you how special you are!!! 

As RuPaul from Rupauls Drag Race would say – “If you can’t love yourself how the hell you gonna love somebody else?”

Stay confident!

Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier University
Jenna Steadman

Wilfrid Laurier

4th year Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo ON.