7 TV Shows that Accurately Describe Your WLU Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Being typical WLU students, we fill our study-breaks with binge-worthy episodes of our favourite TV shows.  But, fellow Golden Hawks, I have a question for you: in the midst of your TV binge, did you ever stop to think about how your fave show perfectly relates to your WLU experience?  Well, keep reading because you’re about to find out.      

Gossip Girl

The infamous TV show about an anonymous identity posting about anyone and everyone on social media.  Sound familiar? Hello, Spotted At Laurier is the Gossip Girl of Laurier!  It’s where we expose our peers in the sneakiest of ways, whether we are proclaiming our love for a fellow Golden Hawk or awkwardly telling someone to stop talking on the silent seven.  We love the rush of adrenaline we get while anxiously waiting by our phones to see our tweet pop up on the Spotted account. You can’t deny that you’ve used it once…or twice.  Okay fine, three times.  Max. You’re addicted, okay?  You know you love it. XOXO 

The OC

We can’t all live in sunny California, but we can have a core group of best friends to count on in any given situation.  Our lives may not be as dramatic as the series but we’ve all experienced things like love, heartbreak, or experimentation at some point in our university life.  Either way, you have a solid group of friends you can always count on for support thanks to the tight-knit, super friendly WLU community.       

Criminal Minds

Every Golden Hawk can relate to that one assignment for that one course where it takes a team and a miracle to power through.  Yes, I’m talking about you, BU111.  If you were a business student, you prayed for a good mark and if you weren’t a business student, you prayed for all the other business students who had to struggle through it.  Also, don’t we all wish our assigned groups worked as well as the Criminal Minds team? Hey, we can dream right?     

Game of Thrones

Winter is coming.   Oh wait, never mind, it’s already here.  Man, Laurier students can relate to the harsh winters they have in Game of Thrones, am I right?!  Plus, every time you watch Jon Snow go into battle, you can’t help but think about how much you’d rather be in a sword fight than stuck writing another page of that paper. You know I’m right!

The Big Bang Theory

So this show accurately describes at least one, or all, of your roommates, right?  You’re either rooming with the super smart neat freak, the partier, the sensible one, the shy one, or the slightly strange one who has an unhealthy obsession with Star Wars (or was it Star Trek?).  Whether you’re besties or not, Leonard from The Big Bang Theory knows the struggle of living with a roommate you may not always mesh with.

The Walking Dead

Well, because who doesn’t look like a zombie on their way to an 8:30 am class??  That’s right, no matter how hard you try, your mood will always be that of a zombie from The Walking Dead…lifeless.  That is until you realize Starbucks in the Concourse has virtually no line because everyone is still in bed.  Ugh.  A small win is better than no win.  Plus, caffeine beats human guts, right?

One Tree Hill

Because the quaint little town of Tree Hill reminds us all of the quaint university that is WLU.  Just like Tree Hill, WLU is super small and everyone knows everyone.  Just like how Haley, Peyton, and Brooke cheer on their Ravens, we proudly root for our fellow Golden Hawks, repping school spirit everywhere we go. Just like university life, the show teaches us incredibly valuable lessons about love and life.  Always remember, there’s only one WLU.   

Wilfrid Laurier Student who loves anything and everything related to fashion, beauty and lifestyle. Constantly living life though the wise words of fashion icon Coco Chanel, who preaches, "In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different."