Bridgerton cast posing for Netflix poster
Netflix

6 Shows With POC Leads That You Need To Watch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

1. Bridgerton

With over 82 million views in the last month, Bridgerton is currently the most-streamed series on Netflix to date! The picturesque visuals, interesting plot and gorgeous cast (specifically the ever-handsome Duke Simon, played by Regé‑Jean Page) put you at the center of the Regency era in England. Between wedding season, 19th century fashion and the humorous secret narrator, Bridgerton makes you almost wish you lived in a time of aristocracy.

2.  Power: Book 2

If you haven’t heard of the show Power, you must be living under a rock. The 50 Cent produced series followed “Ghost,” a street hustler from the Bronx turned business mogul, through his pursuit of success, lies, scandals entwining you his ever-dramatic life. This spinoff, Power: Book 2, premiered in fall of 2020 and follows Ghost’s son, Tariq, as he takes on university, avenges his imprisoned mother and fights against following the same path as his father. Tariq shows the impact of one man having so much power and I can’t wait to see the aftermath.

3. Grand Army

If you love dramatic shows like me, Grand Army is perfect for you. This series follows five students of Grand Army, the largest high school in Brooklyn – and it was so intense that I finished Season One in two days. The series really takes you back to the high school experience, embarking on an authentic look into the struggles faced by the students who explore issues like sexuality, heritage and ethnicity, racism and sexual assault.

4.   P-Valley

The Starz series P-Valley transports you to the exciting and dramatic world of strippers at The Pynk, the hottest strip club in Mississippi. These tough-as-nails boss ladies are mesmerizing as they use their effortless skills to secure the bag; some in efforts to escape their past lives like main character Autumn, or Mercedes, who is grinding for an opportunity to open her own studio, much to the chagrin of her religious mother. The larger-than-life personality and club owner Uncle Clifford shows us just how much confidence you need to keep things in check as he works to save The Pynk from foreclosure.

5. Grown-ish

Grown-ish, the spin-off of ABC’s wildly successful sitcom Black-ish, follows Zoey Johnson (Yara Shahidi) as she navigates life as a university student and fashion stylist. The show is currently on season three and follows the ups and downs of Zoey’s friendships and relationships – all extremely relatable content.

6. Lupin

Lupin is a show that has literally left me at the edge of my seat. It depicts the journey of Arsène Lupin, who is avenging his father who was wrongfully incarcerated at the hands of a wealthy family. His tactful and intelligent character will have you rethinking everything and I need season 2 nowwww!

Happy watching, Golden Hawks!

Elizabeth Lewis

Wilfrid Laurier '22

Writer for HerCampus Wilfrid Laurier.
Rebecca is in her 5th year at Wilfrid Laurier University.  During the school year, she can be found drinking copious amounts of kombucha, watching hockey and procrastinating on Pinterest. She joined HCWLU as an editor in the Winter 2018 semester, and after serving as one of the Campus Correspondents in 2019-20, she is excited to be returning for the 2020-21 school year! she/her