Life > Experiences

5 Ways You Can Support a Loved One Facing Mental Health Challenges

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

1. Listen

When they need someone to talk to, simply listen. Avoid giving too much advice or dismissing their feelings. Remember, you’re listening to understand, not to respond. It can be difficult to remember that sometimes our friends and family bottle up their emotions because they haven’t found a safe space to feel heard – you can create that space! Allow them to express how they feel, that way you can better understand how you can help them in certain situations. If you know what they are going through, you can help them feel heard, and then cater to their needs more easily. 

2. Encourage

When a loved one approaches you for help with their issues, encourage them to keep going and foster their confidence. Certain issues make people feel isolated and can lead to them thinking they’re being annoying or pesky by bringing them up. You can tell them that that they’re free to reach out to you. Be reassuring! Even though it can be tedious, reassurance can go a long way in terms of their self-confidence and trust in others.

3. Check In

Check up on them often because sometimes it can be difficult to reach out or ask for help more than once. Be the friend they can count on. It can be difficult to understand whether someone is really there to support you or just doing it for the sake of the friendship. So, if you’re checking in with them consistently, it will encourage your friend to seek support more often. This will definitely show them that you are with them through thick and thin.

4. Keep Your Cool

Stay calm. It can be hard to not get upset or frustrated when they do not agree with your encouraging words. Try to be understanding of the symptoms and feelings their health issues may bring into their lives. While you are trying to help your friend, it can be difficult to mask our own frustrations. This can lead to misunderstandings between the two of you. Inhale and exhale. Remember that you love this person, and that is why you’re helping them.

5. Do Research

Ask them what you can do to help them. You will never know what they need unless you ask them. Maybe they haven’t gotten their medication yet or might feel unmotivated to go workout. If you ask them what is going on or what they need, they are most likely going to tell you. Healthcare professionals or sources, such as CAMH or the Wellness Centre, are great tools to help you better understand triggers and discover various support techniques you use to be a good support system.

Remember…

Caring for another individual going through mental health issues can drain you of your energy. It is okay, and often important for you, to take a step back and care for yourself as well. If you need time to unwind and get your head in the right space, take that time. If you are not well and healthy yourself, it will be difficult for you to help loved ones around you.

Priya Butter

Wilfrid Laurier '24

Priya is a student at Wilfrid Laurier University pursuing an Honours BA in Global Studies. Along with being a writer, Priya is a passionate dancer and advocate. Check out other work by Priya by visiting thedeconstructedsociety.ca !