This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

R&B is one of my favourite music genres. Whether I’m in the mood for something chill, in need of background music when doing schoolwork or (my personal favourite) some good shower tunes, my R&B playlist is my go-to. I had lots of time to find new music during the first few months of quarantine, and I’m happy to share some artists that I think deserve more love.

1. Myles Cameron

This artist is slowly becoming more known but is still under the radar. He released his first EP in 2019 and another one this year after a few years of solely releasing singles. His voice isn’t too deep but still very smooth which suits the instrumental beautifully. Here are my favourites from Myles Cameron: “Nothing Gold”, “Caged Bird” and “Prettysoon”.

2. Kiana Ledé

This artist is definitely coming up in the industry. Her soothing voice and catchy rhythm instantly puts me in a good mood. I think she could be compared to H.E.R or Ella Mai due to her angelic voice and lyrics about female empowerment. Kiana Ledé ranges from breakup songs to lyrics about the proper treatment of women, and I love everything in between. Through many of her songs, she has the ability to relate to many people while still being catchy and easy to listen to. My favourites from Kiana Ledé include “Plenty More”, “EX” and “Second Chances (feat. 6LACK)“.

3. ASTN

This 19-year-old from Florida truly took me by surprise. I first discovered one of his less popular songs and then eventually found his bigger tracks. My favourite part is his ability to switch between slow, emotional songs and catchy, fun beats. He has a great range to his voice, despite being so young, that fits seamlessly with his R&B vibe. Some of my favourites from ASTN are “Butterflies”, “Leave Me Before I Love You” and “Love No More”.

4. Pink Sweat$

This is another artist who’s gaining recognition, yet still deserves more. Pink Sweat$’ style is so appealing with his range, from happy and fun songs to slow, relatable and sweet lyrics. He’s gotten lots of acknowledgement in the past few months due to his consistent releases. I’d consider Pink Sweat$ on the verge of R&B and pop, yet he maintains a slower, smooth melody in most of his songs. Here are some of my favourites from Pink Sweat$: “17 (Acoustic)”, “Honesty” and “At My Worst”.

5. Phora

Another highly underrated talent. Phora just recently released songs featuring bigger artists such as Kehlani and Jhené Aiko, which will hopefully get his music out to more listeners. His voice isn’t on the deeper side but meshes well with his genre and the artists he features. He’s also collaborated with some large artists in the past like 6LACK, Tory Lanez and Trippie Redd, all of which helped to introduce an element of hip-hop into his music. My favourites from Phora are “To the Moon”, “Stars in The Sky (feat. Jhené Aiko)” and “Cupid’s Curse (feat. Kehlani)”.

In these uncertain and difficult times, it’s so important to help support smaller businesses, local companies and small artists! I hope this list helped you discover some new tunes or maybe even a new favourite! Enjoy, XO!

Olivia Egan

Wilfrid Laurier '23

Third year Psychology student at WLU
Chelsea Bradley

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Chelsea finished her undergrad with a double major in Biology and Psychology and a minor in Criminology. She loves dogs way too much and has an unhealthy obsession with notebooks and sushi. You can find her quoting memes and listening to throwbacks in her spare - okay basically all - her time. She joined Her Campus in the Fall of 2019 as an editor, acted as one of two senior editors for the Winter 2020 semester and worked alongside Rebecca as one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2020-2021 year!