This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Girl, I get it. Stuff gets hard sometimes. We all have a million things going on and it can get super overwhelming just to be alive. Sometimes, we just need that extra motivation to get along with our day and keep grinding on. Here are some of my favourite quotes for when I feel like giving up or just need an extra boost to get stuff done. 

“You can never be overdressed or overeducated.” – Oscar Wilde

No, you really cannot. 

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean it is not real?” – Albus Dumbledore

No matter how scary and disheartening your thoughts may be, take comfort that they’re real for you. Your experiences are valid, and like Harry Potter, you have the choice of you let them control you or not. 

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.” – Stephen Hawking

Your intelligence is not defined by your grades. No matter what’s happening right now, even one of the smartest people in the world is behind you. 

“Grit is that extra something that separates most successful people from the rest.” -Travis Bradbury 

It’s not anyone’s ability to avoid bad times that makes them special — it’s pushing through the bad times that shows someone’s true character. 

“Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage.” – Dale Carnegie

No matter how small your steps are towards getting better, they’ll all add up in the long run.

“It takes ten times as long to put yourself back together as it does to fall apart.” – Katniss Everdeen

Even if it seems like you’re making no progress on your journey back to happier times, remember that it’s hard and you’re going to have rough patches. That’s all normal. 

“No matter what people tell you, words and ideas change the world.” – Robin Williams

Everything might seem insignificant right now, but you have the power to make an impact. 

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” -Winston Churchill

Circumstances always change. Make sure you’re around to see when everything gets better. 

“Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.” – Captain Jack Sparrow

If money’s keeping you down, remember that it’s not the be-all-end-all. There are far more important things in life. 

“The power of one, above all things, is the power to believe in yourself, often well beyond any latent ability you may have previously demonstrated.” – Bryce Courtenay (The Power of One novel)

The sky isn’t the limit — the limit is whatever you set for yourself. Don’t listen to anyone that tries to define your limits. You’re going to fly. 

Madeline McInnis

Wilfrid Laurier '19

Madeline graduated from the BA+MA program at Wilfrid Laurier University in 2020. In her undergraduate degree, she majored in Film Studies and History with a specialization in film theory. She later completed her Master's of English degree, where she wrote her thesis on the construction of historical memory and realism in war films. If you're looking for a recommendation for a fountain pen or dotted notebook, she should be your first line of contact.
Emily Waitson

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Emily is a twenty-something fourth-year student majoring in English and History. She has a passion for writing, internet-famous cats, and sappy books.