10 Binge-Worthy Podcasts Everyone Needs to Listen to Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

If you don’t listen to podcasts then you are seriously missing out. Podcasts are becoming as binge-worthy as Netflix. This is probably because there are so many different genres that can entertain almost anyone, and the majority are free. It also helps that you can listen to them whilst doing pretty much whatever you want. Like most avid podcast listeners, I am constantly searching for a new series to listen to. Whether you are looking for new podcasts or are a first-time listener, here is a list of the most binge-worthy podcasts I have listened to so far, in no particular order.

1. Criminal

Image from Stitcher

Criminal is one of my favourite podcasts to listen too. It covers stories and interviews on anything considered illegal. This ranges from murders, robberies and a visit to the body farm, to public streaking and an illegal lottery. The host, Phoebe Judge, is super engaging and has such a soothing voice, you won’t want to stop listening.

2.The Mystery Show

Image from Gimlet Media

This podcast is exactly what it sounds like. The host goes out of her way to solve everyday mysteries, one of them even involved meeting Britney Spears. If you’re invested in the mysteries of everyday life, or just fascinated by people, this podcast is for you!

3. Dirty John

Image from Stitcher

Dirty John is a documentary-style podcast about a man who lies about his identity on a date, and how it escalated from there. It was recently put on Netflix as a TV series and documentary. Even if you have watched them, listening to the podcast is definitely worth it. You can to hear detailed perspectives of the people involved in John’s life, and get much more detail than the TV series.

4. Call Her Daddy

Image from Stitcher

This podcast feels like you’re just hanging out with your best friends on your couch. The hosts talk about explicit, detailed advice on all topics involving sex and love. They answer questions from listeners and talk about their own experiences.

5. Sick Boy

Image from Sickboy Podcast on Facebook

Jeremy Saunders was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis when he was 18 months old and wasn’t expected to live past age 20; now he’s 27. This has inspired him to create a podcast in order to attempt to break the stigma associated with disease. In each podcast, they interview an individual who has a different type of illness they live with. It somehow manages to be hilarious, heart-warming, sad and intriguing all at the same time.

6. Serial

Image from Complex

Serial is another documentary-style podcast which narrates one story involving a mystery over the course of a season. Season one covers the death of a 15-year-old and season two is about a prisoner of the Taliban. Each podcast ends on a cliff-hanger that just makes you want to listen to more.

7. Getting Curious with Jonathan Van Ness

Image from Earwolf

Most people are familiar with Jonathan Van Ness from Queer Eye, but most are not aware that he hosts his own podcast. He interviews specialists about issues happening around the world, ranging from climate change with Bill Nye, to figuring out how many cats you can legally own. It is informative, yet brilliantly entertaining.

8. Doctor Death

Image from Stitcher

Doctor Death is a documentary-style podcast about Christopher Duntsch, who achieved the nickname “Doctor Death.” Listen to learn about how the American health care system failed the public, and how Christopher earned the nickname. It was so intriguing that I listened to all of it in a single day.

9. The Habitat

Image from Space.com

Ever wonder what it would be like to live on Mars without actually having to go there? If so, this podcast is perfect for you! NASA placed six men and woman in an enclosed curated climate in Hawaii, designed to mimic living on Mars for an entire year. This podcast reveals their personal audio diaries and how the experiment went.

10. My Favorite Murder

Image from Exactly Right Media

In My Favorite Murder, the hosts have a comedic background but discuss various murders that have occurred. They do extensive research and talk about them in terms everyone can relate to and understand. It is perfect if you want to listen to true crime, but don’t want a super spooky podcast that will creep you out at night.

I hope that you enjoy the podcasts that I binged the quickest! Regardless of what you’re interested in, there will be a podcast out there for you that can make your day more enjoyable, no matter what you’re doing!

Heather Robinson

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Heather is entering her final year of Archaeology and Heritage Studies. When she's not trying to revive succulents that she accidentally killed, you can find her listening to the newest murder podcast or Queen. She is an avid watcher of rom-coms and believes in standing up for pineapple on pizza. If you see her on campus she's probably rushing to the next event with an iced caramel macchiato in her hand.
Rebecca is in her 5th year at Wilfrid Laurier University.  During the school year, she can be found drinking copious amounts of kombucha, watching hockey and procrastinating on Pinterest. She joined HCWLU as an editor in the Winter 2018 semester, and after serving as one of the Campus Correspondents in 2019-20, she is excited to be returning for the 2020-21 school year! she/her