This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

As 2018 comes to a close and we welcome 2019, let’s take a quick look at some of the things that happened in 2018 that made it so special, exciting and another year to remember.

1) Logan Paul

Youtube star Logan Paul started off 2018 with the first internet frenzy when he filmed the body of a man that committed suicide while venturing in a forest in Japan. Paul claimed that his intent was to raise awareness for mental illness but the internet gave him backlash for his statement. This whole dispute led to mental illness experts and patients to speak out about the seriousness of depression.

2) Pyeongchang Olympics

The 2018 Winter Olympics took place in South Korea where many groundbreaking sports memories were made. Japan’s figure skating superstar, Yuzuru Hanyu, became the first man in 66 years to win back to back Olympic titles. Canada’s Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir reclaimed their Olympic title in ice dance and helped their fellow figure skating team win gold. It was also a groundbreaking moment for politics as it was the first time both North and South Korea were joined together as the two Koreas walked together during the opening and closing ceremonies.

3) Prince Harry and Meghan Markle

Prince Harry and actress Meghan Markle married in May of 2018. This moment was shocking not only to the British Royal family but also the world. It was the first time a non-British, commoner, divorcée, and person of mixed race had joined the royal family. Many say that with Markle in the royal family, the Monarchy will reach modernity.

4) BTS

K-pop boy band BTS became the first Asian artists to perform at the Billboards Music Awards with their song “Fake Love.” They also won the Top Social Artist Award for a second consecutive time. BTS continues to break barriers by expanding the k-pop genre by appearing on American talk shows such as “Jimmy Kimmel” and the “Late Late Show” with James Corden. The group also made an appearance at UNICEF back in September with their Love Yourself anti-violence campaign. I was also lucky enough to see them perform at the First Ontario Centre in Hamilton, making it one of the highlights of my 2018.

5) Ariana Grande and Pete Davidson

The sudden engagement announcement of the pop star and comedian came as a shock to the world. And like most Hollywood couples, this one came to an end. Grande made light of her breakup by releasing the song “Thank U, Next” in which she thanks all her ex-boyfriends for the impact they made in her life.

6) Marvel’s Avengers Infinity War

The third installment of Marvel’s Avengers series came out back in May and was a massive hit amongst fans of the series. The film pulled in $2.049 billion at the box office, making it the highest grossing film of 2018, the highest grossing Marvel film, and the highest grossing superhero film. Fans of the series are already anticipating “Avengers: Endgame,” the final installment of the series, which will come out in April 2019.

7) The Tide Pods Challenge

Each year the internet comes out with some sort of wild challenge.This year it happened to surround every university students’ favourite laundry hero: the Tide Pod. It started out as an internet meme and then the frenzy broke lose when people would end up hospitalized from consumption. Let’s just say we should just stick to using these little guys for laundry.

8) Yanny or Laurel?

If you were sick of the whole dress craze back in 2015 then Yanny or Laurel was another hurdle the internet threw at us. Where the dress had to do with colour and lighting, the science behind Yanny or Laurel all had to do with sound frequencies. In short, if you hear Yanny your ears pick up the higher frequencies whereas if you hear Laurel your ears pick up the lower frequencies.

9) Fifa World Cup 2018

The world cup took place in Russia where many soccer (or football) fanatics got together with their friends to bid on their favourite teams. It came as a surprise to many when most of the top favourites were eliminated early on and the French came up on top.

10) A farewell to our lost heros

Some of our favourite celebrities were lost in 2018, leaving fans heartbroken and reminiscing all the great memories they had with them. Some of these celebrities include fashion designer Kate Spade, comic book legend Stan Lee, theoretical physicists Stephen Hawkings, and singer Aretha Franklin.

Here’s just some things that made 2018 another year to add to the history books. Let’s turn the page and look forward to what 2019 has to bring for us!