This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

As we enter the month of November, the days become shorter and the weather grows colder. Coupled with assignments and midterms, you might find yourself lacking in your supply of creative juices. Don’t let that get to you! Whether it’s for National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo), personal journalling or your own writing projects, there are ways to get those creative juices flowing.

First things first, put those Tumblr-worthy agendas of yours to some good use and create a writing schedule. Yes, you heard that right. A writing schedule. Not a homework schedule, not a midterm schedule, but a schedule solely for your daily writing goals. 

Oh no, you might be thinking. That makes writing sound like homework! 

While that’s true, treating writing like homework can help you reach your goal. Of course, it’s far more exciting than homework, and once you take the time out of your day to sit down and just write, your words will speak for themselves. This tip can come in handy for those participating in NaNoWriMo. Fifty thousand words is daunting, but when broken into days or weeks, it becomes more doable.

This brings us to another point: don’t force yourself to write!

If you’re feeling down in the dumps, or find yourself just wanting to binge-watch that Netflix show you’ve been eyeing, then go for it. Writing for leisure shouldn’t feel like a chore, after all. If you feel a burnout coming along, then take a deep breath, step back from your work and have a break. Your words aren’t going to run away from you!

Finally, surround yourself with your friends. It helps if your friends are also writers. Simply talking to them may create the spark needed for your writing. Inspiration is everywhere, especially in a group of enthusiastic and supportive writers. Don’t worry about how far along they are! Everyone moves at their own pace. Some people like sprinting and others prefer marathons. 

At the end of the day, do what feels best for you, immerse yourself into a wonderful community and write it up!