This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

I have passion for travelling because I believe it is the best addition to a person’s mind, body, and soul. A lot of people have asked me why I love to travel so much, so I have compiled a list of the best reasons why everyone should make their life better by travelling.

1. You’ll find a new purpose

The purpose of traveling is not only to explore new places, it is an investment in yourself. When you travel, you are exposed to people of different cultures and lifestyles than you are used to in your everyday life. While you are traveling, you will be opened to new insights, and will have a different way of seeing the world and living. Therefore, if you are feeling stuck on what your outlook or purpose in life is, whether it be your career or educational path, go travel! You will be surprised about what you discover about yourself and may gain a new sense of life purpose and direction.

2. You’ll make new friends

Whether you are traveling solo or with a group of friends, you can always meet new people while you are traveling. These people may be travelers or locals, but you will be guaranteed to meet new people if you put yourself out there! Something magical happens in people when they travel; they are more raw and real when they are out of their conditioned environment and open to express themselves without feeling judged. That rawness and realness ends up inspiring others to be the same, and that’s how you can become amazing friends with people when you’ve only known them for a few hours.

3. You’ll appreciate your home more

When you spend time away from home, especially in a place where you don’t have the same luxuries readily available, you will become more aware and appreciative of the luxuries you took for granted back home. If you decide to travel to places in the world such as India and Ethiopia, where people do not have as much access to clean drinking water, you will truly appreciate what a wonderful life you have back home.

4. You learn to live in the moment

Traveling is great for your mind and your soul; it makes you stop and live in that very moment. You most likely won’t have great accessibility to cell phone service or wifi when you are traveling, so you will not be worrying about your latest conversations with your friends. You will be focused on visiting places you’ve never been to before and seeing spots you’ve only read about. Traveling teaches us to unplug, explore, and discover new parts of ourselves.

5. You learn to take things as they come  

When you travel, you will most likely experience a time when something does not go your way. Whether your travel plans do not go the way they should, your flight was delayed or cancelled, or the airline loses your luggage, something will likely go wrong. The beauty in these frustrating moments are that it teaches you to deal with it. The sooner you learn to take things as they come, no matter what the challenge is, the sooner you will be carefree and happy to move onto your next new adventure. Learning how to be calm and not get frustrated or upset when something doesn’t go your way is probably one of the most valuable skills you can use for the rest of your life. You quickly learn that you can handle most situations and that there really aren’t a lot of things worth getting upset about.

6. Traveling lowers stress levels

Traveling can lower your stress a lot. It’s been scientifically proven that traveling can increase your happiness and decrease your depressions. A study found that three days after a vacation, travelers felt well-rested, less anxious, and in a better mood. These improvements didn’t disappear when the travelers returned home; they lasted for weeks afterward.

7. Traveling keeps you fit

Most of the time, traveling has many opportunities to force travelers to be active. When you travel, you will want to try new things and see all there is to see, so you are more likely to attempt an extreme sport, hike to get the best views of your surroundings, and walk the city streets much more than you would back home. Even if you plan to stay all day at the beach, walking on sand will force your muscles to work twice as hard!

8. Traveling can create stronger antibodies and boost your immune system significantly

Antibodies are little proteins that protect your immune system from harmful pathogens. However, research shows that exposure to minor illnesses actually keeps your body stronger. When you travel from place to place, your body adapts to thousands of new bacteria, which in turn can make your immune system much stronger.

I am an aspiring CPA and Entrepreneur who has a passion for writing, traveling, and being creative on many different levels. I am a past member of the Canadian National Fencing Team, and I love playing sports and being active. I also have a passion for volunteering with different organizations and events; I have been involved in over 30+ organizations in the past year. 
This is the contributor account for Her Campus Western.