alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why I Bought My Dog Instead Of Adopting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

So, I did it! I finally got a puppy of my own. I have wanted my own dog for what feels like forever.

I was always looking at humane society websites and other places online for dogs or puppies that I could get. I landed on a picture of the most adorable pup I had ever seen and just knew that he had to be mine.

Now, I understand that there is a huge controversy between adopting and purchasing a dog, but I think people have to make the right decision for themselves. For me, I ended up having to purchase simply because people in my family have allergies and most dogs in the shelters I was looking at were not hypoallergenic. With purchasing my dog, I was able to know exactly what breed he was.

I ended up getting an F1b Goldendoodle. This means that his parents are a goldendoodle and a poodle, so he is ¾ poodle. It was important for me to find a dog that my family is not allergic to otherwise I would never be able to see them. I know that not everyone will understand this decision, but it was the right one for me.

I understand that dogs in shelters need to find homes, but believe me when I say that I had been looking for years at dogs and none of them kept my attention as much as this pup did. For some reason, I was unable to think of anything else or play the devil’s advocate as I was able to with all of the other dogs I had looked at.

I talked with my friends and family and everyone was on board, so I knew I would have a great support system with getting a pup. They are a lot of work and I needed to know that my roommates and family would be alright with this choice.

I’ve had Duke for two weeks now and I know that I made the right decision for me. While it is a lot of work, it is so exciting to see him learn new things every day. He is so smart and willing to learn. He knows his name, he comes when called and he sits and lays down on command. He is full of energy and will be the perfect companion for hiking and camping all summer.

I already know that this is the best decision I’ve ever made for myself. He has my whole heart.

Duke, Photo provided by author.