What The Doctors Don’t Tell You About Birth Control

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Half of us do it. Why wouldn’t you? It’s the responsible thing to do, right? The hormonal birth control pill is a common and effective method of contraception that millions of women rely on every day to minimise the risk of unplanned pregnancies or to manage period pains and symptoms. However beneficial this uncomplicated form of birth control may seem on the surface, its harmful and potentially lethal effects, which users are often unaware of, are slowly poisoning their temples: the female body. Below is a short list of some facts that doctors normally don’t inform patients of when supplying them with this form of contraception.

A small disclaimer: although some of these facts may be shocking, the birth control pill remains an extremely effective form of contraception, and is often the best option for many women. Its benefits help to ease menstrual pain, regulate hormones, control acne, and reduce heavy menstrual flow. The information below is merely presented to inform women, and enable them to make the best decision for them personally. It is in no way intended to dissuade women from using hormonal birth control. Its purpose is solely to lay out the facts.   

Depression:

Mood swings, anxiety, irritability, and depression are all possible side effects of the birth control pill. A recent study has shown women who are actively taking the birth control pill to have a thinner lateral orbitofrontal cortex and posterior cingulate cortex, which disrupts one’s brain structure and function significantly. These areas of the brain are extremely important, as they relate to decision making and emotion processing. This may not be the sole cause for why some women report feeling depressed and moody while on the pill, but it certainly helps to explain some of the emotional distress that many women face.

Class A Carcinogen:

Most have probably heard the word carcinogen thrown around many times before, and have a general idea of what it is, but what really is it? A carcinogen is any substance or exposure which leads to changes in a cell’s DNA, in turn causing cancer. The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), whose major goal is to identify different causes of cancer, has developed the world’s most widely used system for classifying carcinogens. A “Group A” carcinogen (which is the highest grade of toxicity), is any substance which is carcinogenic to humans. Among these “Group A” carcinogenic substances, are: acid mists, engine exhaust, tobacco, and estrogen-progestogen oral contraceptives. That’s right: the pill has the same carcinogenic grade as acid, tobacco, and dozens more products which we would never even consider ingesting once, let alone every single day for years on end.

Risk of Breast Cancer:

There have been numerous studies done on the correlation between the use of the hormonal contraceptive pill and breast cancer over the past few decades. One notable study, conducted by the American Association for Cancer Research, provides new statistics involving oral contraceptive use and breast cancer among young women. The findings of this study showed that there was an excess risk of breast cancer of 24% in young pill users. Furthermore, teenagers aged 16-19 years have an excess risk of breast cancer of 1 in 20,000 if they uses the pill for 5 years.

Alteration of 150 Bodily Functions:

Most women believe that the pill will only affect their ability to get pregnant and perhaps cause some minor side effects, but the reality is that the pill affects almost every single organ and bodily function, in some way or another. A handful of these bodily changes include:

Suppression of the Thyroid Gland = Weight Gain:

The thyroid gland is in charge of regulating our metabolic rate and is associated with changes in body weight and energy levels. The thyroid gland stores and produces hormones which affect every single organ in our bodies. When a woman is on the pill, the function of the thyroid is often compromised, and can cause abnormally low levels of thyroid hormones. This in turn causes fatigue, constipation, dry skin, coarse hair and weight gain. Although this may not be the most harmful or alarming effect of hormonal birth control, it is still a factor to consider when choosing a form of contraception.

So, What Are My Other Options?

Luckily, the pill is not the only option when it comes to contraception. There are many forms of birth control worth exploring in order to find the best method for oneself. Here are a few methods with low to no hormonal side effects:

• Copper IUD (ParaGuard) : This is the only super-effective form of birth control containing zero hormones on the market. It is a small “T” shaped device which a physician will insert into the uterus. Thanks to a tiny copper coil wrapped around the T, it is over 99% effective at preventing pregnancies and can remain inside the uterus for up to 10 years. However, this method often increases menstrual pain, flow, and duration.

• Low-Hormonal IUD (Mirena): As opposed to the pill, which contains both estrogen and progestin, this method releases a very minimal amount of progesterone daily. The progesterone acts locally inside the uterus, whereas the hormones and chemicals contained in the pill travel throughout the entire body. Because there is no estrogen in a low-hormonal IUD, women experience fewer hormonal side effects, such as mood changes and weight gain. Although spotting may occur during the first few months after insertion, periods tend to disappear altogether or are very light, short, and not painful.

• Fertility Awareness: This is certainly not the most effective method of contraception, however, is perhaps the only with absolutely no side-effects. This method involves tracking one’s menstrual cycle to determine when they are fertile in order to either abstain from sexual intercourse, or use another form of contraception (such as condoms), during their week of fertility.

This is the contributor account for Her Campus Western.