This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Yay spring has sprung! Although spring is awesome because it’s warmer and the sun stays out longer, March and April can be stressful with all the assignments due and finals coming up. Luckily, I have some ideas to help you de-stress and welcome in the spring season! Try and cross off all twelve things, good luck!

1)    Go grab lunch or dinner on a London patio

Nothing quite says spring like grabbing a nice meal with friends while sitting in the sunshine. Whether you go to Church Key Pub, Toboggan, The Bungalow or even The Spoke, eating lunch or dinner outdoors on a nice spring day is the perfect way to reduce your stress.

2)    Have a picnic on UC Hill

While grabbing a nice meal on a London patio, saving money and packing your own food to eat outside is just as fun! Spend some time with your friends just sitting on the grass chowing down some food while you study and socialize in the warm sunshine. I must warn you though, you may attract some geese and, as we all know, they are not our friends.

3)    Go out and do something fun for St. Patty’s Day

Okay, this one has passed now, but if you didn’t do anything fun for Saint Patrick’s Day this year you should definitely do something next year! Although Western doesn’t do anything crazy like Laurier, there are lots of fun things you can do in London like go to Broughdale, go on a bar crawl (aka Leprechaun stumble) or even grab a green beer at Molly Bloom’s. Just make sure you take care of yourself—eat food, stay hydrated and know your limits.  

4)    Go for a walk around London

Sometimes, when you sit in your room or at the library for too long, you need a change of scenery. That’s why walking around London in the fresh air is so helpful! Whether it’s the Saugeen-Brescia trail or walking along the Thames River, there are lots of great places to go for a brisk walk in the fresh air, both on and off campus.

5)    Go have a little fun

Assignments and exams bumming you out? Then go blow off some steam at East ParkThe FactoryLaser Quest or Exodus Escape Rooms! Whether you go go-karting or play arcade games at East Park or go bounce on trampolines at The Factory, it’ll sure take your mind off that final exam you’ve been dreading.

6)    Go suntan on Concrete Beach

When the sun comes out, it’ll be time to get outside and have some fun in the sun. Even though Concrete Beach isn’t actually a beach, we can pretend it is, right? I mean it may not have the sand or the water, but at least it has the sun and the birds, right?

7)    Apply for a job or a club executive position

Help build your resume by applying for a job or a club position which can help you gain skills and experience! No matter what you’re interested in, there is a leadership or job position that you can apply for! Even if you didn’t run for a vice-president or president role (hats off to you if you did), there are so many other executive positions within clubs that should be coming out soon including commissioner and coordinator roles, among others.

8)    Do some spring cleaning

Ugh. Spring. Cleaning. With essays, assignments and final exams, the last thing you want to do is clean. However, sometimes going through your room and/or place and organizing and cleaning can actually make you feel so much better. Plus, if you do it now, you won’t have to stress about it later if/when you move out in May.

9)    Go shopping

Spring fashion is here. Now I’m not really one to follow fashion trends, but sometimes buying a new shirt or even an entire outfit can make your wardrobe feels new, fresh and exciting. According to elle.com, fringe, neon, tie-dye and sheer are back in so why not head on over to Masonville and purchase a new on-trend look?

10) Go buy yourself some nice flowers or plants

Plants and flowers are so great for people’s health and well-being—they add so much love and life to dreary depressing rooms. Whether you prefer flowers like tulips or plants like succulents, bringing some nature into your home can make you feel a little bit better during this stressful time of year. Not sure where to buy flowers or plants? There’s Flower Story and Grow & Bloom Co. both on Richmond Row.

11) Get some ice cream or frozen yogurt

Mmm…ice cream. I don’t know about you, but I missed ice cream all winter long. Whether you want ice cream from Marble Slab or frozen yogurt from Chil, treat yourself for working hard with a delicious and well-deserved dessert on a warm spring day.

12) Spend Easter with your friends or family

Easter is such a nice holiday, but it sucks that it happens right in the middle of exams. If you’re close to London, why not go home and have a nice long weekend with your family? And if you’re an international or out of province student, try to take a break from studying and spending some quality time with your friends. Most importantly, make sure you eat some chocolate, you deserve it!