The Ups and Downs of My University Career

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Going into my last semester of the fourth and final year of my undergraduate degree, I’ve been around the block a few times. University was definitely the best time of my life, but I had to go through a huge transition in order to get to the place where I am today. Although I enjoyed the ride, there were definitely some things I could have done differently.  I’d like to share with you the most important things I’ve learned.

#1) Don’t be scared of confrontation 

Talking things out with people is actually a lot less difficult than you might think.  Confrontation has never been one of my strengths, especially when problems arise between others and myself.  Tension tends to build up, and that causes me to want to avoid confrontation even less, to the point where it finally blows up. Don’t do what I did.  If there is something going on between yourself and your roommates, boyfriend, friends or family members, try to address it as soon as possible to prevent hurting those relationships.

#2) Don’t fall behind in your studies

Although university can be about the experience, it is mainly about carving a path for your future. This is not something you want to screw up — trust me.  I, however, got caught up in the hype of partying and meeting new people, and fell behind in my schoolwork, especially in my freshman year. Fortunately, if your grades fall, you still have time to fix that.  This year I have really gotten my act together between working, getting involved, and trying my hardest in my classes.

#3) Get involved

Join clubs, participate in intramural sports, go to the gym, volunteer for charitable organizations. This is something that I have been successful in throughout my university career, and I know that I will benefit from it in the future.  Not only does getting involved make for a very impressive resume, but it also connects you will new people and makes your university experience all that more enjoyable because you are spending your time doing something constructive.

#4) Get to know your professors

This is another thing that I got the hang of by my third year, but did not quite grasp at the beginning of my university career.  You’ve probably been told by your parents that you should go to office hours, but it might not have sunk it that it will really make a difference. BUT IT DOES.  I’ve had times where I’ve even sent my professors rough drafts of assignments asking for comments before I submit my final draft, and wound up getting much higher grades than I did on previous assignments.  It’s worth a shot.  Getting to know your professors is also beneficial if and when you need reference letters later on.  This strategy has helped me a lot.  

#5) If you need help, ASK

You’re in the big leagues now, nobody is going to judge you if you ask for help.  You are investing a lot of time and money into your university career, so you need to make sure you’re getting the most out of it. If there’s a concept you don’t understand or a question you might have about an assignment, always ask. Always increase that chance of getting a higher grade because you can.  It’s frustrating to lose marks on something when you misunderstood what was expected of you.

#6) Make an effort with your friends

The people you meet in university could quite possibly remain your friends for the rest of your life.  Who knows, they might even end up as bridesmaids in your wedding!  Make sure you invest time in actually getting to know them and show that you are a true friend by being there for them when they need you.  Going out with friends is always fun, but it’s the times when you’re present throughout their struggles that really proves the quality of the friendship.

My name is Brooke Horrobin and I'm going into my 4th year at UWO. I'm pursuing a bachelor degree with a major in Political Science and a minor in Health Science. I love writing and social media. I'm hoping to pursue a future career in human resources or public relations. I love writing about things that a lot of others can relate to. I have a strong interest in fashion and the college life in general.
Alexie is a graduate from The University of Western Ontario where she majored in English and minored in both Writing and Anthropology. She is now a graduate student at Western, where she is completing a Masters of Media in Journalism and Communications. Reality TV junkie and social media addict (follow her on instagram: @alexie_elisa and twitter: @AlexieRE_Evans), Alexie is ecstatic to be on the alum team of HC Western Ontario after loving being the campus correpondent in her undergrad!