This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Spoken word, poetry, and creative writing has been an outlet for me since I was young. Some of my writing reflects on personal experience, an emotion, an abstract idea or a collective experience. This piece stems from my own experience and the collection of stories I have heard. This is for the people who could not express and articulate the way someone made them feel. This is for you.

You planted a seed of doubt in my head

A seed to doubt my values I held so deep

You correlate me with my answer

As if I was no more than my answer

I was no more than my choice not to have sex.

Making me feel like an abnormal creature  for holding different views

– even when I tried to walk you through my shoes.

Justifying my choice with an explanation you did not deserve as my words went through one ear and out the other.

As if my value was connected to my sexual autonomy

You made me feel like I would never be worth the wait

I guess I’m glad I never took your bait

Making me feel sex was the only way to make you stay

– thankfully I turned and walked away.

—Virgin

This poem is not limited to virgins but rather for any person who has experienced a similar situation. Whether you were a virgin trying to explain yourself or simply a person refusing to share yourself with someone, you should never be made to feel abnormal and worthless for your choices. In fact, it is no one’s business what you choose/choose not to do sexually. If a partner or person asks you to explain yourself and in turn try to change your mind they are not genuinely curious and do not deserve an explanation. Remember your sex life, whether existent or non-existent, does not define you.

This is the contributor account for Her Campus Western.