Some Students Wary of Western University’s First Fall Reading Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Some students are wary of Western University’s first Fall Reading Week, which is scheduled to run from October 9 to October 13, with the first day being Thanksgiving Monday.

Western University

Last year, Western University’s Senate members unanimously passed a motion to create a Fall Reading Week for the 2017-2018 academic year on a trial-run basis for a two-year period. The one week break replaces a two-day study period, proposed in 2012, which was previously held at the end of October.

Out of 20 Ontario Universities, 16 have implemented a Fall Reading Week, with Queen’s University, University of Guelph, University of Waterloo, and York University enforcing a two day study break.

Many students encouraged Western University to implement a Fall Reading Week for reasons regarding mental health and well-being.

Mental health has been a controversial topic on the Western University campus, with concerns increasing after two high-profile suicides were reported last year. The implementation of the Fall Reading Week addresses issues of anxiety around midterm season.

Some students disagree with the Fall Reading Week, concerned that it will take away from other mental health initiatives on campus.

“For me, I don’t really like the idea. The term gets way more condensed and if I were to go home like most students, I wouldn’t be using this time to study,” said Shauna Valchuk, a fourth year Western University student.

Valchuk fears that the implementation of the Fall Reading Week will take away from other mental health initiatives on campus.

“I think the administration thinks that by giving us a Fall Reading Week, all our mental health problems are solved…Just because you give students a week off doesn’t mean they won’t be depressed anymore,” Valchuk said.

“You can’t make up for Western’s severe lack of mental health resources with one week off,” Valchuk continues.  

Other students are conflicted on whether or not they agree with the implementation of a Fall Reading Week. Charlotte Emeljanow, a fourth year English major at Western University, is happy to have the week off, but is stressed with the amount of assignments that are due the following week.

“Instead of giving us a break, we’re getting a week without classes to hide away in our rooms and panic about looming deadlines. I could’ve really used the time off to recoup,” said Emeljanow.

If you are struggling with your mental health and well-being, the Western University Wellness Education Center, located in room 76 of the University Community Center, offers counselling services, as well as other programs to help students maintain their mental health.

Do you agree with the implementation of a Fall Reading Week? Let us know in the comments section below!

Want more HCW? Check us out on social media!

FacebookTwitterInstagram

Rachael, Her Campus Western’s 2017-2018 News Editor, is a senior at Western University studying Media, Information, and Technolculture, and Professional Communication. She is an aspiring journalist with a passion for news and controversial issues. On most days, you can find her fuelling her coffee addiction at various cafés, exploring fashion blogs, and day-dreaming about her next travel destinations. Follow Rachael on Instagram: raeejones
    This is the contributor account for Her Campus Western.