This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Coming from a town that has been deeply affected by suicide, and currently a resident of Middlesex County, a community with a significantly higher suicide rate than the national average, I’m sure I am not the only one who has felt helpless to the epidemic.

The one that plagued us throughout our high school years. We would hear hallway whispers or see a posting on Facebook about “another one,” shake our heads in disbelief as that crippling knot in our stomachs evoked the feeling of numbness that we all know too well. This happened so many times, it became routine. To the point that the thought constantly running through my head was “who will it be next?” yet when the topic was brought up in conversation, we felt like we were walking on eggshells, tip-toeing around it, as if we could not openly discuss the feelings that were haunting us daily. As a result of my own experiences and others’ whom I love, I feel it is my responsibility to be more knowledgeable about the signs and symptoms of suicidal thoughts, in hopes of reducing the stigma so a loved one or a stranger’s life can be preserved by creating a safe environment for them to open up. This is where safeTALK comes in.

This past weekend, I had the privilege of participating in a suicide alertness course called safeTALK. SafeTALK aims to promote suicide awareness, reduce the stigma associated with suicide, and to afford people the comfort of discussing suicide in the community. Once you are taught to raise the question: “Are you thinking of suicide?”, this interactive course gives people the means to become an effective advocate to connect people with support centers in the community that can promptly address their needs.

Did you know that 5-7% of the community is thinking about suicide? With the Canadian population at approximately 36 million people, 6% is a staggering 2.16 million! 2.16 MILLION people thinking about suicide at any given time, and even more shocking, most people want help. The vast majority of people suffering from suicidal thoughts are subconsciously inviting others to ask about them, and this brings me to my first reason why you should consider safeTALK training: If most people with suicidal thoughts are wanting and subconsciously asking for help, wouldn’t you want to be able to recognize that?

SafeTALK gives you the mental tools and abilities to promote a safe environment where someone experiencing suicidal thoughts can open up about the stress which would otherwise have had the potential to turn into a fatal situation. When we allow people to talk openly about suicidal thoughts and the trauma tormenting them, we actually lessen their risk of suicide. It is crucial to remember that the emotional pain burdening this person is perceived by them to be a trauma, how we interpret the situation is irrelevant, the most important thing is that they define it as such.

Every 40 seconds, someone in the world dies by suicide. Since you’ve been reading this article, approximately 3 people have died by suicide.

One way you can effectively counteract the stigma of suicide in your daily life is by simply changing your language. For instance, when we talk about suicide, we mustn’t say “s/he committed suicide” but rather, “s/he died by suicide.” Similarly, one does not commit cancer. By engaging in insensitive language, we are actively perpetuating the very stigma that has prevented some of our loved ones from confiding in us. Although it is our responsibility, arguably our duty, not to miss, dismiss or avoid suicidal thought, we cannot take absolute responsibility for another’s life.

Let me say that again. We cannot take absolute responsibility for another’s life.

I know this may seem like a contradictory statement, but hear me out. Just like we cannot heal someone’s broken leg, we cannot heal someone’s thoughts completely. One must actively seek help and constantly work towards a healthier mindset, because at the end of the day, no one else can do it for them. All we can do is be the stronghold to provide and maintain an open and secure environment, and connect people with individuals and agencies that are better equipped to address their mental health needs.

In closing, I would like to ask you a question: Are you thinking of suicide?

If the answer is yes, I would like to tell you that I am a certified safeTALK alert helper prepared to connect you with agencies in your community. If you are having suicidal thoughts, I am inviting you to message, call, or contact me at any time of the day or night, I will listen and provide the community supports that can better assist you.

Here are a few support centres and lines available to the public:

London, Ontario

CMHA Walk-In Crisis Centre

648 Huron Street

(519) 434-9191

London and District Distress Centre

255 Horton Street East

(519) 667-6711

Sarnia, Ontario

Lambton Mental Health Service Distress Line

Available 24/7 including holidays.

Tel: 519-336-3445 or

800-307-4319

Kids Help Phone

Tel: 800-668-6868

Family Counseling Centre Distress Line

Tel: 519-336-3000

If you are interested in taking the safeTALK course (which I highly recommend), visit this website.

MacKenzie is a 3rd year Criminology Student at Western University and an aspiring criminal lawyer. She is passionate about women empowerment and butter chicken. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter for more shenanigans: @mackenzievozza
This is the contributor account for Her Campus Western.