Rotten Apples Links Your Favourite Movies to Sexual Assault Allegations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Rotten Apples, a website created in response to the wave of sexual assault allegations in Hollywood, allows users to search which movies or television shows are associated with accused individuals.

The site acts as an unconventional type of news source where people can have the proper information behind the entertainment they watch. It is meant to bring awareness and allow viewers to make a conscientious decision on whether or not to watch.

The site displays “rotten” or “fresh” apples, depending on if there is a connection to sexual misconduct allegations. The site will also display which cast member was accused with a link to a news article that outlines the claims.

According to Vanity Fair, the site currently has approximately half a million searches.

The idea was conceived by four advertising employees: Tal Wagman, Annie Johnston, Justice Erolin and Bekah Nutt.

“I think the tool serves as commentary on how pervasive the problem is…We’re trying to empower people with information,” said Johnston in an interview with Vanity Fair.

The site declares a film or television show “rotten” as soon as the allegations are linked to a credible third source. According to the Huffington Post, T.J Miller’s projects were changed to “rotten” on the same day he was accused of assault.

Currently, Rotten Apples is funded by the four creators as they do not place any advertisements on the site to avoid profiting on a serious issue.

If your favourite movie was found “rotten”, would you still watch? Let us know in the comments below!