Harvey Weinstein: Who Is Defending Him And Who Admitted To Knowing Of His Sexual Assaults

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Harvey Weinstein: film producer, studio executive, millionaire, husband, father to four daughters and alleged sexual assaulter.

Weinstein has been accused of sexually assaulting approximately 50 women in the entertainment industry. Kate Beckinsale, Cara Delevingne, Ashley Judd and Gwyneth Paltrow were some of the women Weinstein abused.  

According to the women’s stories, Weinstein’s methods of attempted seduction began with inviting them to hotel rooms where he greeted the women in a bathrobe and would force kisses, ask for massages or have them watch him masturbate.

In the midst of the scandal, there are celebrities who have come to Weinstein’s defence, and others who have admitted they knew about Weinstein’s assaults on women.

Donna Karan

Photo from CNN

Fashion Designer Donna Karan defended Weinstein during an interview at the CinéFashion Film Awards, claiming that both Weinstein and the women are to blame.

“But I also think how do we display ourselves? How do we present ourselves as women? Are we asking for it by presenting all the sensuality and all the sexuality?” said Karan.

“You look at everything all over the world today and how women are dressing and what they are asking by presenting themselves the way they do. What are they asking for? Trouble,” said Karan.

In a statement written to the Daily Mail, Karan claims her comments were misconstrued as she is an activist for equal rights for women.

“My statements were taken out of context and do not represent how I feel about the current situation concerning Harvey Weinstein. I am truly sorry to anyone that I offended and everyone that has ever been a victim,” said Karan.

Lindsay Lohan

Photo from Business Times

Lohan defended Weinstein in a series of videos she posted on her Instagram account, which were later deleted.

“I feel very bad for Harvey Weinstein right now. I don’t think it’s right what’s going on. He’s never harmed me or done anything to me. We’ve done several movies together and so I think everyone needs to stop. I think it’s wrong. So stand up,” said Lohan.

Lohan expresses her sympathy to Weinstein as they are both celebrities constantly in the public eye.

Quentin Tarantino

Photo from The Guardian

Tarantino and Weinstein created numerous successful films together, including Pulp Fiction. In an interview with the New York Times, Tarantino admitted to knowing about some of the sexual assault instances committed by Weinstein.

Tarantino shared that his then girlfriend, Mira Sorvino, had told him about Weinstein sexually assaulting actress Rose McGowan at the 1997 Sundance Film Festival.

“I chalked it up to a ’50s – ’60s era image of a boss chasing a secretary around the desk. As if that’s OK. That’s the egg on my face right now,” said Tarantino.

During the interview with the New York Times, Tarantino expressed his guilt for not protecting the women when he found out that Weinstein was assaulting them.

“I knew enough to do more than I did. There was more to it than just the normal rumours, normal gossip. It wasn’t secondhand. I knew he did a couple of these things. I wish I had taken responsibility for what I heard. If I had done the work I should have done then, I would have had to not work with him,” said Tarantino.

Woody Allen

Photo from Fox News

The director expressed his sadness for both Weinstein and the abused women.

In an interview with the BBC, Allen says, “The whole Harvey Weinstein thing is very sad for everybody involved. Tragic for the poor women that were involved, sad for Harvey that life is so messed up.”

During the interview, Allen expressed that he does not believe in the idea that men should be overly cautious with their actions concerning women.

“You also don’t want it to lead to a witch hunt atmosphere, where every guy in an office who winks at a woman is suddenly having to call a lawyer to defend himself. That’s not right either,” said Allen.

Scott Rosenberg

Photo from Mashable

The screenwriter worked with Weinstein on various films, such as Beautiful Girls, Con Air and High Fidelity.

In a Facebook post, Rosenberg wrote a poem explaining how Harvey and Bob Weinstein forged his career through countless movie deals worth millions of dollars. Rosenberg admits that he knew about Weinstein’s attacks on women.

“Yeah, I was there. And let me tell you one thing. Let’s be perfectly clear about one thing: Everybody-fucking-knew. Not that he was raping. No, that we never heard. But we were aware of a certain pattern of overly-aggressive behaviour that was rather dreadful,” wrote Rosenberg.

Rosenberg’s post repeatedly states how apologetic he is for remaining quiet and not defending the abused women.

“So, yeah, I am sorry. Sorry and ashamed…I didn’t say shit. I didn’t do shit. Harvey was nothing but wonderful to me. So I reaped the rewards and I kept my mouth shut…With all these victims speaking up…To tell their tales. Shouldn’t those who witnessed from the sidelines do the same? Instead of retreating to the cowardly, canopied confines of faux-outrage?” wrote Rosenberg.

Weinstein has been fired from the Weinstein Company and dropped as a member of BAFTA. Weinstein’s wife, Georgina Chapman, announced in a statement that she is ending their marriage of 10 years. In response, Weinstein claims that he agrees with Chapman’s decision and is currently in counseling.  

Weinstein could face up to 25 years in jail for sexual assault and rape, however, the Manhattan district attorney, Cyrus Vance Jr, has decided to drop the case as he believes Weinstein will not be charged with criminal conviction due to a lack of evidence.

What do you think of the accusations of assault directed towards Weinstein? Let us know in the comments section below!