books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Remember to Take Care of Yourself During Exams

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Exam season is one of those special times of the year where it’s completely possible to forget whole parts of your identity. For example, the other day I looked up from my computer screen and remembered that I enjoy being clean and having an organized room. Many times I will only remember at four A.M. that I am a person who enjoys the comforts and benefits that a full night’s sleep grants. Fortunately, with a bit of self-awareness and a lot of self-understanding, self-care can lend itself to making your exam season more bearable and even a little bit enjoyable.

1. Know Yourself

No matter how many tips and tricks people give you, in the end you have to know what will work for you. Make a list of these things and have it handy during those times when your productivity is running low or you know you need a break. For example, if someone told me to go on a run early in the morning to relieve stress, I would laugh and assume the exam stress had finally caused them to crack.

2. Move your body

With that said, exercise comes in many different forms and some people say that it’s good for you. Even stranger, many people find that it refreshes and energizes you, increasing your productivity and improving your mood. Going on a walk, a run, taking a spin class, or going back to your regular routine at the gym are all possibilities! Personally, the rec center’s yoga classes never fail to make me feel like I’m doing something right.

3. Put good things in your body

Stress eating is a huge part of my exam season lifestyle and I know how gross you can feel later on because of it. Try to find a balance of things that make you feel good and that are good for you. Drinking lots of water, taking your vitamins, supplements, and medication are also so important, take very little time, and are a reminder that you’ve got yourself on track. Drink warm tea when you need it and eat.

4. Friends and Family

Sitting in your room for six straight hours is a great idea right up until it’s not. Make the time to be around the people you care about and gain energy from their reciprocated appreciation! This can mean accepting affection from your significant other, having a chat with mom, or laughing with people in your floor’s lounge. Taking those meal breaks with friends is a good way to catch up, feel supported, and give support. For some people like me, working silently with another friend in the room makes me feel more connected and productive.  

5. Cleanliness

This has varying importance and relevance to everyone, but in general it’s a nice feeling to be clean. Taking fifteen minutes to listen to music and tidy up is never a mistake, and regular showering is not something to be sacrificed during exam season. Things like maintaining a skin care routine and doing laundry are easy to forget but will make you feel much better later on.

6. Sleep

Perhaps the hardest routine to maintain is a sleep schedule. Sleep is often the first thing to go when exams and assessments roll around, because it’s so easy to forget how important it is to function throughout the day. Like I said before, you know yourself better than anyone else, so if you need to stay up late to hash out an essay you should. But a nap or early bedtime the next day is not to be underestimated. Staying up late to do things like binge watching Netflix, online shopping, or reading fanfiction are great ideas at the time, but not worth it when you need energy the next day.

Self-care is important year round, it doesn’t matter if you’re vacationing in Barcelona or slaving away at a 3000 word paper. Pay attention to your body and mind, and stay healthy and engaged this exam season!

Ashna is currently a first year student at the University of Western Ontario and is a part of the School for Advanced Studies in the Arts and Humanities. She loves reading, writing, drawing, and staying up to date with feminist discourse. Ashna hopes to graduate with an Honors Specialization in Creative Writing and do something Big. In the meantime, she continues to learn more about life as an adult and taking naps.
This is the contributor account for Her Campus Western.