This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

“This school year is looking a little different than most.”

At this point in the term, we may be tired of hearing that phrase, but it’s certainly one that captures this whirlwind of a year.

Starting from last year, when the province moved into a state of emergency, many of us were likely in the same boat: uncertain about what that meant and what we should expect in the coming months. By September, that uncertainty lingered, bringing about questions regarding the outlook of the upcoming school term.

Personally, I was looking forward to entering a new program that fall. I was fortunate to have the opportunity to meet a few of my classmates during our orientation day, but the rest of our term was different from what we expected. Online classes were often harder to focus in, and without our friends around us, the synchronous lecture simply felt different.

Despite the downsides, there were also a few upsides. We were able to stay safe, many of us saved on commute time and we had the chance to meet and spend time with those across the world in various time zones. And, who can forget: we can also now call ourselves Zoom Pros.

So yes, this term was different. It was tough, but we tried to make the best of it. If there’s anything I learned, it’s to cherish the moments we have now and look on the bright side, as hard as it can be at times. School is important, but so is personal health: take a break, talk to your friends and try not to spend your entire day in front of the computer.

Ultimately, this year of online learning was a new experience and, for better or for worse, there’s a lot we can learn from it.