Wellness

Ways to Perfect Your Study Area and Optimize Productivity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Given the current state of the world, we have all had to adjust our day-to-day lives. Many of us are still working from home or doing online school. Personally, I have found it difficult to continue motivating myself to study during these strange times. In this past year, I’ve made some changes to my work area in an attempt to recapture my motivation. Here are some tips and changes that have boosted my productivity, encouraged me to study and made me enjoy my study area again.

1. Organize the surrounding area/room

It’s incredibly difficult to study when you can see mess out of the corner of your eye: whether it be that pile of clothes glaring at you or your unmade bed calling you back to it. Doing a quick tidy of your space is a great way to start your day and will remove any distractions that might creep up on you later.

2. Buy a laptop stand

Sitting at my desk all day and staring down at my computer has definitely given me some neck issues. I found this super cute, ergonomic stand on Amazon that has stopped me from crouching over all day long. I’ve experienced less neck and back pain thanks to this handy device!

3. Keep an agenda or calendar nearby

I love checking tasks off my to-do list as I complete them. It gives me a sense of accomplishment and motivates me throughout the day. I also like being able to check when my deadlines are and see what I need to get done in a timely manner. Having my agenda or calendar nearby keeps me on schedule and discourages any procrastination; I’m always face to face with what I need to complete.

4. Have a special place to hide distractions, such as a drawer, box, or a different room

Putting your phone away will help boost focus and productivity tremendously. Reaching for our phones becomes an addiction. We can easily get sucked into social media or games and lose entire days to these tiny devices. I’ve tried other methods and can confirm: it’s best to simply hide digital distractions so you can get your sh** done and move on with your life.

5. If you can’t resist having your phone nearby, use a study app

Sometimes I have a hard time putting away my phone: what if I get an important call? In times like these, I’ll opt for a trusty study app. I like to use the famous Forest app that tracks your study time. The longer you study, the more your little forest grows. It really is quite the fun incentive to hit the books or finish that work assignment. 

6. Have a study lamp

This is something I picked up from a professor of mine in my second year. Professor Marty Lobdell, in his infamous ‘Study Less Study Smart’ lecture, suggests having a special, dedicated study lamp that you only turn on when studying/working. Your brain will be conditioned to focus on the task at hand while the lamp is on! Crazy, huh?

7. Use blue light glasses

Blue light glasses have been somewhat of a trend lately, but let me tell you they’re worth it! I have no idea how I went most of my life staring at screens without them. These amazing glasses block the harmful blue rays from your eyes, eliminating headaches and eye strain. They’re also great for people who like to work late at night because it stops the blue light from interfering with your melatonin levels. I’ve found that I can focus on a screen for longer and fall asleep afterwards faster. Check out my personal favourite pair here!

8. Always have a water bottle on hand

Studying is hard on the brain, so you need to make sure you’re staying hydrated with plenty of fluids. You’ll work more efficiently and absorb more of what you’re studying if your body is in tip-top shape. Having a water bottle nearby will make it more likely for you to take the occasional sip than if you had to go to the kitchen every time. Consider it a healthy distraction! It’s the simple things that make the biggest difference.

9. Have a blanket nearby

If you’re like me, you love being cozy and get cold very easily. I always have a blanket with me so that I’m not tempted to curl up in bed under the covers. My blanket curbs any distractions that come with being cold and provides the warm embrace I need to get through another tough day in our distanced, online world. 

10. Decorate and customize the space so that its a place you enjoy being in

Lastly, it’s not uncommon to get bored with your setup or tired of staring at the same sight every day. That’s why I like to decorate my space with a candle, photos, posters, incense, and whatever my heart desires. I’ve found that if I enjoy looking at my space, I’m more willing to sit there and get my work done. It’s also a fun side project, you can personalize your area however you like. If you need inspiration, get a Pinterest board started!

Online school can seem unbearable at times, but these 10 tips have really helped me weather the storm. Stay strong and safe out there, everyone! You got this.