Life > Experiences

An Open Letter To My University Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Graduation is right around the corner, and I am starting to feel a mixed bag of emotions. On one hand, I am relieved and excited that I finally finished my degree and will be off onto another adventure. But on the other hand, it terrifies and saddens me for many reasons to close this chapter of my life. I have met some of the best people while in university, and the fact that I now have to start a new life without my best friends is a very daunting thought. So, this one is for my university friends who brought excitement, and joy into my university life. I could not have done this without you. There are many things that I can say about you, but pretty much everything ends with thank you. So, here are a few words from me to you.

Dear Friends,

For starters, what you’re about to read is probably going to be cliché and cheesy, but bear with me here. I just really need to say this in writing because let’s face it, I most likely won’t say any of these in person. As we all know, talking about feelings is not my forte. So just hang in there, folks, and let me be vulnerable for one second. Okay, so here we go.

Thank you for choosing to stay and be part of my life. You have seen me at my lowest points, from drunken shenanigans to multiple mental breakdowns, and yet you still chose to be my friends. Instead of backing away, you stayed and took care of me. So thank you, because I probably would not be the person that I am today had I not met you.

Thank you for understanding and accepting me for who I am. Thank you for the late-night talks that last until the break of dawn, and for all the deep chats accompanied by the occasional cheap wine and shots. Thank you for allowing me to be vulnerable, and thank you for crying with me at times, because we all know that sometimes a good cry fest is all we need.

Thank you for all the nights we don’t remember. I have to admit, we have done some stupid things because of the drinking and partying we did on  the weekends. But I don’t regret any of it, because somehow, those impulsive drunken adventures brought us some very interesting tales. They are definitely stories that will be told in years’ time.

Thank you for being the best cheerleaders anyone could ask for. You are truly the best hype squad there is, and I am serious about this. Thank you for constantly supporting my decisions and giving me that confidence boost. You always made me feel like I can overcome any obstacles life throws at me, and for that I am grateful. 

I am sorry. I know that I may not have been the best person at times, and I am sorry for that. I am sorry for the times when I have been cold and distanced myself when things got tough. Forgive me for the times that I may have come across as uncaring and selfish. I am sorry for the times when I was a bad friend. I am sorry if I have upset or hurt any of you. I swear I didn’t mean it. I hope you can forgive me. 

I am scared. For the longest time, it seemed that our time in this place would never end. Now suddenly, in the blink of an eye, most of us are about to leave for good. I’d be lying if I told you that I am absolutely confident that everything will be wonderful, and that I am not all terrified of graduating. You all know me well enough at this point to know how anxious I can be at times. I don’t know what is in store for us after this chapter ends, and that uncertainty is what scares me the most.

I am going to miss you A LOT. It sounds cheesy, but I suppose it really is true that we don’t realize how lucky we are to live just minutes away from our friends until the time comes that we have to move away. So, let me just take this moment to say that I will miss all the impromptu sleepovers, movie nights, game nights, brunches, exam all-nighters and everything else in between. But most of all, I will miss seeing all of you almost every day.

I love and appreciate each and every single one of you. I honestly don’t think I say this enough, but I really do care about you and I hope you know that. I promise that no matter where life takes us, I want you to know that if you ever need someone, I’ll always be here for you.

So, here’s to all the memories we shared, to all the laughter and tears, to friendship and to whatever it is the future holds. This one is for my best friends; thank you for making the past five years amazing. University would not have been the same without all of you.

Thank you. I promise to never forget you.

Love,

Me.