One Thing Quarantine has Taught Me: Letting Go of Expectations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

One thing quarantine has taught me is that having expectations and ideals of how something is supposed to be can prevent you from enjoying things as they are. Did I expect to be on campus for my first year of university? Yes. Did that end up happening? No. Now, I’ll spend first year learning online from home. Instead of being mad or upset about it, I’ve chosen to make the best of the situation. I’ve realized staying home for an extra year means more time to spend with my yellow lab, Bear. It means I have more time to learn how to cook some easy dishes to enjoy during second year.  

Some milestones in your university experience should be things that you can easily enjoy. To do this, you can’t be constantly comparing your university experience to how you thought it would be. Sometimes, accepting things as they are can make an experience more enjoyable. This can (but might not) apply to new experiences you enter in life, such as a new job, a new living situation or a new role as a student. 

Things are bound to turn out different than you expect them to. Not everything is in your control and there are times when it is best to just go with the flow. Though, that’s not always the case. If you feel bad about the situation you’re in, you might want to consider making a change or reaching out for support. Call a friend or family member, or make use of the resources available to you through your university. At Western, there are peer support and academic counsellors available to help you through difficult times. 

Life isn’t like how it’s shown on TV, and it’s also not how we expect it to be. One thing to consider is letting go of some of your expectations about how you want things to go, and letting them play out organically instead.