This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Last week, I handed in my final assignment, concluding three and a half years at Western. Coming from a relatively sheltered home and high school, university was quite an adjustment. However, having made it to the end of my time at Western, I am so grateful for the experiences I had and the people I met. After having some time to reflect on the last few years, I compiled a list of the best and most challenging aspects of undergrad that helped shape my university experience.

Upper Year Students

Early on, I learned the importance of having upper year mentors. In first year, my residence sophs were two of my closest friends. They helped me transition from being a high school student, living with my parents, to a university student, living in residence. I went to them with questions about course selection, campus directions, extracurricular activities, etc. I was lucky enough to find mentors throughout my undergrad. As I began to think more about career aspirations in  third year, I looked to fourth year students and recent grads who had gotten a head start on pursuing their respective career paths. It goes without saying that major transitions including high school to undergrad and undergrad to (almost) graduate were made a lot easier by the guidance I received from upper year students.

Clubs at Western

I was so happy to find clubs in first year that suited my interests and helped me gain experience. In particular, I joined UWO Dance Force and remained an active member throughout my undergrad. Being a competitive dancer for over 10 years prior to starting at Western, I loved that I could keep up with dance and maintain my technique at weekly classes. More than that, I loved the friends I made and was so fortunate to meet people from different programs, years, residences, etc. As a student, it was easy for me to get wrapped up in the stress of exams, projects and grades so Dance Force became my weekly de-stressor. Generally, all of the clubs I joined at Western allowed me to make friends and gain new experiences while striking a balance between my academics and extracurricular activities.

F.A.I.L.

About two months into school, I received a mark that I just wasn’t happy with. Adjusting to life away from home, lecture-style classes, and unfamiliar grading schemes was challenging. It was hard not to dwell on a bad grade, but I soon learned the importance of being academically proactive. I approached upper year students for study tips and T.A.s and professors for course help. Failing to do well on one midterm or paper is not the end of the world and although it is normal to feel disappointment, I have learned to treat a “F.A.I.L.” as my “first attempt in learning” because I believe in second chances and the opportunity to strive for better.

Figuring out the Future

Throughout my undergrad, the uncertainty of the future caused me a lot of stress and concern. As much as I valued living in the moment and enjoying my time as a student, the need to figure out post-grad plans was always looming in the back of my mind. For the first two years at Western, I tried to use my time to gain experience that would make future opportunities more accessible to me. Third year was particularly difficult, causing my stress levels to peak. As dramatic as it sounds, both  semesters were rollercoasters in which I went from emotional highs to lows every week. Luckily, I stayed strong for most the year, focusing on school and finding relevant extracurricular activities. Now that I am in fourth year, I realize that I have my entire life ahead of me to figure out the future. Although it is important to be forward-looking, the end of a four year undergraduate program is by no means a deadline for finding full-time employment or applying to a graduate program; rather, it is the beginning of an exciting future.

My Roommates

I was lucky because I had met one of my first year roommates during a summer event before starting at Western. We had gotten along really well, bonding over the most random things like a green jacket and weird Facebook stickers. You can imagine how happy I was to discover that by coincidence, we would be living together in residence. Prior to moving in, I had heard many stories about roommates with clashing personalities and differing living habits. That was definitely not my experience; in fact, I pretty much struck gold for every year at Western. Throughout my undergrad, I loved coming home to my roommates. Whether we were stressing about exams, feasting on ramen at 2 am, getting ready for a night out, or watching Grey’s Anatomy for hours on end, it was always a good time. We were there for each other to celebrate during the happy times and commiserate during the sad. My roommates made my undergrad into the most enjoyable experience and I don’t think I would have made it this far without them.

Looking Forward

Undergrad has flown by and I can barely keep up with the passing time. For my final semester, I will be going on exchange to Spain. I am so excited for the adventures to come and the people I’ll meet, but I can guarantee you that I will never forget these last three and a half years spent at Western.

Megan is a fourth year student at Western University, studying at the Ivey Business School. She one day hopes to pursue a career that merges technology and marketing. In her spare time, Megan loves to dance, write, and travel. 
This is the contributor account for Her Campus Western.