This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

In a year of constant uncertainty, both socially and politically, one thing has remained consistent throughout 2017—an endless stream of great music. New and old artists have created music in all genres that speak to many aspects of life, and whether discussing their experience with racial profiling or about the confidence needed to get over a break up, my favourite 17 albums of 2017 reflect upon some of the best releases of this year. 

17. Aminé, “Good For You”

Aminé’s debut album blends unique R&B and rap sounds to create a witty album balanced with moments of thoughtful insight. Besides his hit “Caroline,” his tracks “Spice Girl” and “Hero” bring an upbeat, cheerful tone to the rap game not found elsewhere. 

16. Khalid, “American Teen”

Khalid brings a fresh, young voice to the table in his blended genre album of soul, R&B and pop sounds. The album captures the freedom of being young in a world focused on caring about the wrong things. His songs “Young Dumb & Broke,” “8TEEN”, and “Cold Blooded” bring to light the struggle of being young, being sometimes in love, but mostly being in the midst of still figuring out…everything. 

15. Charlotte Cardin, “Main Girl” (EP)

Montreal-Canadian singer Charlotte Cardin brings forth captivating vocals and sounds in her newest EP. The intriguing tracks “Main Girl” and “Just Like That” bring forth a diverse addition into her past releases. The evolution of her songwriting can be seen in the strong lyrics discussing love and strength, claiming she has been “a fool to love the pain.” A true Canadian success story, Cardin breaks musical boundaries in her spin on classic pop ballads. 

14. Migos, “Culture”

Migos’ second album shows the growth of the rap trio into heights never reached in their initial debut. Showcased through hits like “T-Shirt” and “Get Right Witcha”, the three rappers use their funk-trap style to stylize and emphasize more than their lyrics, but the very culture being manufactured by trap music today.   

13. Jay Z, “4:44”

As can be seen in the opening lines of “4:44,” “I apologize/Often womanized/Took for my child to be born to see through a woman’s eyes,” Jay Z uses his thirteenth album to explore his personal struggles and views in an honest, head-on way. Whether in tracks like “The Story of O. J.” or “Moonlight,” Jay Z dives into the cultural struggles which create the way we treat one another with pristine vocals and fresh R&B sounds. 

12. Tyler, the Creator, “Flower Boy” 

The most recent album release by Tyler, The Creator brings a new vulnerability to the way he views himself and others, showing us a more personal level we have not been allowed to see until now. With songs like “Glitter” and “See You Again (feat. Kali Uchis),” the album brings a sincerer addition to his past collections of music with thoughtful lyrics and a blend between his previous rap style and a new, more soulful sound.

11. Kendrick Lamar, “DAMN.”

As one of the strongest current voices in the rap game, Kendrick Lamar uses his new release, “DAMN.,” to explore the racial struggle present in North America through strong tracks like “BLOOD.,” “DNA.,” and “FEAR.” Lamar tackles big issues with a big sound, using sampling and a blend of musical sounds to create an impactful collective creation.

10. SZA, “Ctrl”

A haunting album of stylized alternative-R&B, SZA shines with songs like “Supermodel,” and “Normal Girl.” SZA uses a blatant honesty in her discussion of relationships and abandonment, leaving the impression that self-love can outshine all others. 

9. Future, “HNDRXX”

Released within two weeks of his self-titled album, Future uses his second release of the year to dive into a deeper side of his persona. Far superior to his self-titled project, “HNDRXX” shows vulnerability like never before through the soulful R&B sounds in songs like “Comin Out Strong (feat. The Weeknd)” and “Sorry”. With this album, Future dissects the various sides to rap music and its singers, bringing refreshing tracks fueled with honesty and spontaneity. 

8. Mansionz, “Mansionz”

Blackbear and Mike Posner come together in their first album named after their collaborative duo, “Mansionz.” Combining electronic sounds, blunt rap, and spoken word, the album transitions from one unique sound to another. The track “I’m Thinking About Horses” uses a spoken word concept to deal with introspection while songs like “My Beloved” and “White Linen (feat. Cyhi the Prynce)” blend new musical styles to create an album fuelled by honesty and doubt about both the world and oneself.  

7. Lana Del Rey, “Lust For Life” 

As one of the most intriguing vocals in today’s alternative-pop music, Lana Del Rey uses her newest album to showcase a kind of iconic, nostalgic happiness. While songs like “Love” and “In My Feelings” feature her signature soft vocals, other artists feature on tracks like “Lust For life (feat. The Weeknd),” “Tomorrow Never Came (feat. Sean Ono Lennon),”  and “Summer Bummer (feat. A$AP Rocky & Playboi Carti),” allowing Del Rey to branch into new genres and territories while holding onto that poetic, delicate voice that keeps us coming back for more.   

6. Harry Styles, “Harry Styles” 

Harry Styles has come a long way from his One Direction days in his solo debut self-titled album. From the light vocals on the opening track, “Meet Me in the Hallway”, to the rock-influenced “Kiwi,” Styles’ new songs make the album a refreshing addition to pop music, allowing multiple musical styles to blend into a new musical life for this young star. 

5. Drake, “More Life” 

Drake’s newest release brings him back to a more connective persona than his last album, “Views.” “More Life” brings forth the many different sides of Drake, with everything from the traphouse-style present in “No Long Talk” to more experimental, light pop sounds present in “Blem” and “Portland”. The album is an exciting combination of all Drake has to offer, and promises even more yet to come.  

4. XXXTentacion, “17”

Jahseh D. Onfroy (known as XXXTentacion) pushes past his history of controversy to dive into something even deeper in his album release “17.” As said by himself in the opening track, the album is meant to be “a collection of nightmares, thoughts, and real-life situations [he’s] lived…in hopes it will cure or at least numb your depression.” “Jocelyn Flores,” “Revenge,” and “Carry On” all help to paint the darker side of nostalgia and love. The album brings to light an unapologetic artistic example of raw emotion and raw pain.

3. Dua Lipa, “Dua Lipa”

In her debut studio album, Dua Lipa brings a combination of electronic vibes and stellar vocals into traditional pop, bringing forth new sounds to a tired genre in a unique way. Whether letting her vocals take the stage in songs like “Garden” and “No Goodbyes” or using electronic-pop sounds to emphasis the importance of confidence in “IDGAF” and “New Rules,” Lipa draws you into her music with raw emotion.

2. Jaden Smith, “SYRE”

Jaden Smith changes the game in his newest album release this year. Smith infuses a mix of blues, electronics, and R&B into his hip-hop/rap release. The strong tracks “Breakfast (feat. ASAP Rocky),” “Icon” and “Hope” showcase a new voice that has surpassed all previous work. While battling between his past reputation and the possibility of his future, Jaden Smith surpasses his reputation to bring forward a unique combination of genres with a fresh play on how to define oneself in a constantly changing society. 

1. Lorde, “Melodrama”

In her second studio album, Lorde comes back better than ever with a poetic, creative side that reaches new heights. Four years after the release of her debut album, “Pure Heroine,” “Melodrama” paints the picture of a young women enthralled in an alternative life full of strength, love, and chaos. From songs like “Sober,” “Homemade Dynamite,” “Writer in the Dark,” and “Perfect Places,” the album transitions as if one long, drunken summer night. With her poetic vocals meeting a blend of new and old sounds, Lorde has created a concise, important album regarding what it means to live in an unapologetic world of freedom, love, and most importantly, music. 

In both times of certainty and in times of struggle, few things connect us more than art. These albums represent more than a mish-mash of great songs from different genres — they show us how beauty can come in many forms, from a wide background of people and places. There were many moments in 2017 which highlighted the differences we saw in one another, but music remains one of the easiest and most important ways where we can connect, press play, and just listen.