Meet Shannon Beauchesne, Red Bull Representative

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Year: Fourth

Program: Criminology

Hometown: Waterloo  

What do you do at Western?

I am currently a fourth year, full time student at Western. My days are filled with classes and homework and going out in my spare time. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to join any clubs or extracurriculars this year, although I wish I did!

How did you get involved with Red Bull?

I got involved with Red Bull my second year at Western. I was looking for a super fun student job and Red Bull is definitely that! Hanging out with your friends, handing out free Red Bulls and showing up to parties with a little gift of wings, what could be better!

What is the most rewarding experience you’ve had during your time here?

The most rewarding experience during my time at Western was my volunteer experience at SafeSpace. This experience came as a requirement for a course and I could not be happier that I was able to do it! It changed my view of the world around me and made me appreciate everything that I have so much more!  

What are your plans for summer/after you graduate?

I plan to sleep for a year to catch up on the sleep that I missed during my four years. I also want to travel and knock a couple things off my bucket list, because why not!

Are there any classes or professors that really made an impression on you?

Kim Luton was definitely my favorite professor at Western hands down, and made a huge impact on how I look at the world around me. In all of her classes, she provided an engaging environment and afforded us the opportunities to experience things outside the walls of a classroom. Another professor that made a huge impression on me was Scott Shaffer, aka “the dragon.” Social theory did not have the most interesting content but he always made it fun and related it to things that are relevant now—topics like Netflix and chill in a social context.  

Where is your favorite place that you have traveled?

Santa Monica, California. Best. Place. Ever.  

If you could give your first-year self one piece of advice, what would it be?

Do your readings when you are actually supposed to do them so you aren’t playing a vicious game of catch up the day before the final! Definitely a game I played all too often. I would also tell my first-year self that Kraft dinner is not a food group, even though I wish it was.