Meet The President: Sydney Keefe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Name: Sydney Keefe

Position: President

Age: 22 (as of July 31st [same birthday as Harry Potter and JK Rowling!!!])

Program: Honours Specialization in English, Literature and Language, and minor in Classical Studies    ​

Hometown: Oakville, Ontario (lived in the same house my entire life!)

Tell me a little bit about yourself! 

“I am exactly 1⁄2 of the Campus Correspondents for Western’s Her Campus Chapter this year. I will (fingers crossed) be finishing my degree at Western this year. In the summer I live with my parents in Oakville.”

How did you get involved in Her Campus Western?

“I started in my third year as a general member and writer! I had read Her Campus articles before on the national site and when I realized that Western had its own chapter I knew I had to join!”

What’s your favourite article you’ve written for HCW?

“In 2017 I wrote Female Directors and the Golden Globes about the lack of female nominees in the entire history of the Golden Globes (still only four women have ever been nominated and only one woman has ever won). In a similar vein, I am excited about an article I am currently writing about films and the Bechdel Test.”

What are you most excited about this year at HCW? 

“I am most excited for our monthly movie night! Every month we have a study and chill session where we hang out doing work and watching a movie! Other than that I am just excited to really begin my role as CC and see what Shauna and I can bring to this amazing community!”

What’s your favourite aspect of your program? 

“There is so much I love about the English program at Western. The standouts are the intimacy of the program and class sizes. Arts and Humanities is one of the smallest departments at Western and this makes it easier to really get to know your professors and peers! On a more personal level I really enjoy the work and the research aspect of my program. Nothing is more satisfying than when you have been agonizing over an essay and an idea finally clicks.”

What did you do this summer? 

“The most interesting thing I did this summer by far is hike the Salkantay Pass to Machu Picchu. It was a crazy four day hike I did 0 training for in advance (poor planning on my part). Other than being literally the most difficult thing I have ever done, it was definitely one of the most rewarding! Once I got back I worked in Administration in Toronto (lol). I also got really into horror movies and I am looking forward to the sequel to The Shining this October Dr. Sleep.”

What’s your dream job? 

“Princess. :)”

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?

“In a perfect world I would live in France, probably Paris. Unfortunately, I have never had the patience to learn french so I would likely get incredibly lost. But there is no better place for music, food, champagne or coffee! And that is not even considering the draw of the art galleries.”