Meet the Member: Maggie Gauthier

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Name: Maggie Gauthier

Age: 21

Program: English and Creative Writing

Hometown: Windsor, ON

Tell me a little bit about yourself.

“I am a fourth-year student who is plugging along towards a degree and making Her Campus Western the best chapter it can be. As Editor-in-Chief, I am constantly updating documents and heading into meetings. This, coupled with fourth year, means there isn’t a day when I’m not busy. How I don’t burn out is hard to say—this year I am contributing it to listening to my body. Sometimes I will favour taking a nap overdoing my school work—usually because I’m not retaining anything anyway!”

Why did you get involved with Her Campus Western?

“I heard about Her Campus through some women who started the University of Windsor chapter. However, I joined because I want to get into the writing, editing and publishing world and it seemed like a good place to start!”

How long have you been involved with Her Campus Western?

“I joined when I was in second year as a writer, then I was a blog editor in my third year, and now I’m here! I’m also a Chapter Advisor with Her Campus National and this is my second semester doing that.”

What’s your favourite course that you’ve taken at Western?

“This is a hard one! I think my all-time favourite course would have to be the creative writing course with Professor Claudia Manley, Memoirs, Memory, and Discourse. It’s a class that really forces you to dig into yourself and really pushed my writing abilities in the best way. There are so many professors I would like to shoutout for amazing courses, but it would take forever. I think that’s the great thing about such a large school—there’s something for everyone, meaning classes are specific and focused rather than broad, and professors really seem to get into them.”

What goals do you have for the future?

“Right now, goal number one is to graduate. The long-term goal is to get a job as an editor in either a magazine, fiction, or poetry. Fingers crossed on that one!”

What is an interesting fact about you that most people don’t know?

“Most people don’t know I have a makeup obsession. It took me a long time to get comfortable in my own skin and now that I am I rarely wear makeup to class or to work in favour of an extra thirty minutes of sleep. However, I LOVE doing my makeup when I can take my time and really enjoy the process. I am both proud and ashamed of my VIB Rouge status at Sephora. If you don’t know what that is I suggest you stay away—it really is a dark hole.”

Speed Round:

Favourite Spoke bagel flavour: “I don’t really eat at the cafe!”

TV show you can watch on repeat and never get bored of: “Friends, Grey’s Anatomy, Gilmore Girls, and Gossip Girl.”

Cats or Dogs: “Cats. Dogs. Cats. I think.”

Ideal night in: “Doing absolutely nothing. My room is clean and I’m chilling on my bed watching Netflix knowing I don’t have any assignments due the next day.”