Sylvia Li Junior Editor at Her Campus Western
Original photo by Sylvia Li

Meet the Junior Editor: Sylvia Li

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

The Basics 

Name: Sylvia Li

Nickname: Sylv

Position: Junior Editor

Age: 20

Program: Chemistry

Hometown: Vancouver, BC

Fast Faves 

Favourite novel: My favourite book is Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. I don’t read as many novels nowadays as I would like to, but I’m always looking for science-fiction recommendations.

Favourite beverage: My all-time favourite drink is probably an iced vanilla latte. For a cozy fall drinking experience, I’ve been enjoying London fogs.

Favourite Halloween candy: Any Maynards are my favourite Halloween candy: Sour Patch Kids, Swedish Berry, Sour Cherry Blasters, or Fuzzy Peach to name a few. I would take gummy candies over chocolate bars any day.

Favourite social media platform: Instagram

Favourite bread: My favourite type of bread is a bagel. The Spoke’s jalapeño cheddar bagels have always been my flavour of choice since first year.

Favourite part of your wardrobe: My black Dr. Martens 1461s are a staple in my wardrobe. They are my go-to shoes and I pair them with many of my outfits.

Favourite fact about yourself: Last year, I listened to 131,793 minutes worth of music on Spotify (about 2196.5 hours or 91.5 days). Considering how much time I spent at home this summer due to the Covid-19 lockdown, I’m expecting to beat that this year.

General Qs 

What does your average day look like?

As a student, my average weekday pretty much revolves around my lectures and schoolwork. Depending on how many times I decide to snooze my alarm that day, I typically wake up at 8-8:30 am. I try to finish all my tasks for the day by 7:00 pm, when I prepare dinner, so I can spend my evenings winding down while watching Netflix, hanging out with my roommate or FaceTiming my friends.

Pick a historic figure to fight.

I would fight Piotr Ilich Tchaikovsky, the composer of 1812 Overture. He wrote the song commemorating the Russians against Napoleon’s invasion of Russia. If we were to go to battle, I would hope it would inspire him to write an epic orchestral piece on our encounter.

If you were a work of art, what medium would you be in?

I would be an oil painting. Oil paints take a long time to dry before you see the big picture. As I can be shy, it might take some time to get to know me, but in the end, you’ll see my character.

How did you get involved with HCW?

Before getting involved with HCW, I had come across HC’s articles online. Their inclusive and diverse content interested me. So, when I saw a Facebook posting about position openings, I decided to jump on the opportunity to join the team!

What has your experience with HCW been like?

This is my first year working with HCW. So far, my experience has been nothing but positive. Everyone has been friendly and welcoming. I’m looking forward to working alongside a very passionate team!

What’s one piece of advice you think everyone should hear?

The biggest piece of advice I can give is to stop comparing yourself to others. Whether it’s others’ possessions, appearances or accomplishments, they don’t set a standard for what you should have. It can be so toxic when looking for motivation in others becomes a source of insecurity and self-doubt.

Who’s your greatest inspiration?

My greatest inspiration is my parents. Every day, they show me what it means to be hardworking and lead a happy, healthy life in everything that they do.

Would you rather fight a horse-sized duck or 10 duck-sized horses?

I would fight a horse-sized duck. While the duck would have a size advantage over me, I would be terrified of 10 little horses running at about 88km/h at me. This is based on the assumption that the animals’ abilities DON’T scale with size. If they do, I would reconsider my answer.