prateek katyal xv7 GlvBLFw unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
prateek katyal xv7 GlvBLFw unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Meet the Exec- Becca Serena

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Age: 19

Program: MIT and Creative Writing

Hometown: Hamilton

Relationship Status: Taken

Social Media

Instagram: @coldstrawberries

Facebook: @coldstrawberries

Blog: coldstrawberries.com

Tell me about yourself and all the things you do at Western

I spend most of my time talking to my bunny, Rosie, as if she were a person and rambling incoherently about capitalism. I’m a vegan, a minimalist, and an aspiring full time writer. I love to cook absurd amounts of food and then eat it all in one night, only occasionally sharing it with my friends or boyfriend.

I’m frequently found wandering around campus with my phone out, undoubtedly playing Pokemon Go. Aside from studying until my eyes hurt, I sometimes leave my house to go to cool events on campus which usually involve art and free food.

What are you most excited for this year with HCWO?

I’m most excited to write alongside a fantastic team of writers, and getting to know each one of them! Not only do we get to write awesome, relevant content together, but we get to hang out frequently and chat about life. Our team has always been a very supportive place—that’s why our writers feel comfortable writing about very personal topics—and I can’t wait to be immersed in that kind of environment again!

How did you get involved with HC?

My friend Ella—our Senior Editor!—introduced me to HC shortly after we met in second year and encouraged me to apply for a writing position. After my first article was published, I was hooked!

What’s your favorite HCWO article?

It is really hard to only chose ONE article that is my favourite, but I would have to say ‘In Defence of My Degree’ by Ella Purtill (is it obvious that I’m totally in love with her, yet?). Not only is the article important, well written, and thoroughly researched, but I was able to see the long process that went into the creation of this piece. This article also seemed to be a major turning point for HCWO, as our others writers became inspired to put together pieces which took a lot longer, were of the highest quality, and which tackled major issues in a serious way.

What do you like most about your major?

MIT constantly challenges my worldview and forces me to unlearn everything I once believed, so I can discover my own informed truth. Admittedly, it is a long and painful process, but I wouldn’t be who I am without learning the things that MIT teaches me.

What is your favorite thing to do in London?

Weekly “Whine and Cheese” get togethers with some of my closest, most cherished friends!

What did you do this summer?

Aside from summer school and working for Western, I visited NYC and Portland. I also became a new bunny mom which was pretty cool!

Do you have any mottos that you live by?

I don’t have any specific mottos, but this is the closest that I have to one right now: “maybe the door won’t open unless I bang on it loud and long” — The Paris Wife.

I also like to live by certain ideas. I recently came across the Konmari method for tidying, which introduced me to the concept of only surrounding yourself with things (and people!) that spark joy. As I work toward wholeness—a much more realistic goal than happiness, I believe—I try to remember that I need to be gentle with myself, and to lower my absurdly high self expectations.

Do have any guilty pleasures?

The Bachelor franchise! #LukeForBachelor

Where is the best/last place you have travelled to?

Fun fact: I’ve visited over 27 countries! Portland remains one of my favourite cities (I find it very in tune with my beliefs and lifestyle, and I have family that lives there), though I always find myself going back to Italy because there are so many unique parts of the country which deserve to be explored!

Travelling aside, though, Surrey in England holds a very special space in heart because that’s where I grew up. It’s also the area that J.K. Rowling set Little Whinging (where Harry Potter grew up) so I basically was raised in the same place as Harry Potter which is pretty cool!

Ariel graduated from Western University in 2017. She served as her chapter's Campus Correspondent, has been a National Content Writer, and a Campus Expansion Assistant. She is currently a Chapter Advisor and Chapter Advisor Region Leader.