Matt Lauer, NBC “Today” Host, Fired For Inappropriate Sexual Behaviour

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Matt Lauer, “Today” show host, has been fired by NBC News after receiving a detailed report of inappropriate sexual behaviour in the workplace.

“Today” co-host Savannah Guthrie, along with Hoda Kotb, announced the news on Wednesday morning, moments after NBC news chairman, Andrew Lack, released a memo regarding Lauer’s termination from the organization.

The memo explains that Lauer’s reported behaviour “represented, after serious review, a clear violation of our company’s standards.”

While Lauer, who has worked for NBC News since 1997, has not received any prior complaints of inappropriate sexual behaviour in the workplace, there is the possibility that this may not be his only incident of inappropriate behaviour.

NBC News was “presented with reason to believe this was not an isolated incident,” said Lack.

Guthrie explains the difficulty of trying to reconcile initial feelings towards a colleague and friend after discovering that they have behaved inappropriately.

“This reckoning that so many organizations are going through is important, it’s long overdue, and it must result in workplaces where all women, all people, feel safe and respected,” said Guthrie.

The NBC network is committed to maintaining a safe work environment for all employees.

“Our highest priority is to create a work environment where everyone feels safe and protected, and to ensure that any actions that run counter to our core values are met with consequences, no matter who the offender,” said Lack.

The reported complaint against Lauer comes in the midst of many sexual allegations against other high-profile men in entertainment, media and business.

NBC News has promised to share the details of Lauer’s accused misconduct and firing with the public as more information arises.