This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

For the past twelve months, I have held the role of the editor-in-chief and co-campus correspondent, of Her Campus Western (HCW). A role that has taken over my life in a hundred different ways. I made this commitment prepared for the workload and eager to take our chapter to the next level. I was not prepared for all the feelings that came with this role. I have been a member of Her Campus Western since 2016 and I have loved every minute of it, but this year, 2018-2019, my year, will forever hold a special place in my heart. I say my year, but it was really our year. No amount of hearts in various Facebook posts will ever communicate what I am trying to say, so I am going back to the basics. Back to the open letter style that attracted me to this platform all those years ago. Consider this my love letter to the incredible people of Her Campus Western.

To our writers…

First of all, I am so sorry that I am so bad with faces. But know that, not only do I know all of you, I have read every single article you have published this year. And, not only have I read them, but I have loved them. Each article published in the last twelve months has made my heart sing with pride. I have watched you all grow as writers. I have seen your improvement. I have been amazed at your abilities to handle criticism and the individuality in which you tackle a task. We have high standards here at Her Campus Western and you have all met and exceeded them.

Thank you for allowing me to lead you, for liking and commenting on my long Facebook posts, and for coming to events each month. Thank you for coming to me with your concerns about and for communicating with me. Thank you for allowing me to learn from you. I am so glad to have met each and every one of you, and please know that my inbox is always open, no matter where life takes us.

To our executive team…

We couldn’t have done any of this without you. Every single event, article, post on social media, delicate design, crazy idea, mistake and protocol was checked and rechecked with at least one of you. We did not take a step alone as we moved through the year. You were the walls that kept us standing. You stepped in when we could not, and you brought in fresh ideas and new perspectives. No matter your role, senior or junior, big or small, know that you have played a crucial part in our success this year.

It has been a privilege to work with you all, and I hope to work with you again. Like our writers, I have watched you grow, I have seen your strengths and your weaknesses. Each one just as valuable as the next. You should all be so proud of yourselves and the work you have done this year. Without you, our events would not have happened. Our posts would not have been clicked on or liked. Our recruitment wouldn’t have been successful. Our articles would not have been published. It is because of all of you that this chapter was able to shine as brightly as it has.

To our co-campus correspondent and president, Alex Hawkins…

I don’t know where to begin. You are the yin to my yang. We are so similar in our ideals and our goals, and yet so different in our execution. I believe this is why we worked so well. How many times did I message you in the middle of the night, panicking because I thought we forgot something? Only to have you answer me calmly, letting me know it was taken care of. How many times did I nearly explode in rage, frustrated at my own situations? Answered and calmed by your encouragement to take a night off.

Thank you for answering a thousand emails and even more questions. Thank you for letting Her Campus Western supplies take over your living room. Thank you for sharing countless Google docs with me, for encouraging me, listening to me, and putting up with me. Thank you for being my partner and doing this with me. This chapter, nor I, would be as strong as we are without you.

To our future CCs…

I expect Her Campus Western to continue for many years to come. It has become a safe space for so many writers, and I know you will continue to grow the chapter in ways myself and previous CCs have never thought to do. I have but one bit of advice to give you all: don’t blink.

I know how horribly cliche that sentiment is, and if I were the one editing this article I might suggest a change, but there is really no other way to put this. The year you lead Her Campus Western will be the fastest, most challenging and yet most rewarding year of your undergrad. Don’t forget to take it in. Take a step back at your events and watch your members laugh and know that you have brought them together. Sit back at your meetings and watch your junior executives shine with potential. Reach out to those who have come before you, they can offer guidance unique to our chapter—learn from their mistakes and improve upon their successes. Lean on one another when times are tough, and be honest with yourselves and your team. When you love someone’s work—tell them. When you think someone needs support—offer it. Your team will do the same for you. Enjoy every second of it and take pride in what you have built.

Before you know it you will be deciding who will replace you and hosting end of year events. You will be drafting your own goodbye to a chapter that has become your family, just as I am now. Time will have passed too quickly, but it is bittersweet.  

To everyone…

I wish nothing but love, luck and happiness on all writers, executives and CCs to come in the following years. I am overjoyed by the love I have felt this year, and the trust you have all placed in me.

Thank you, for everything.

Love,

Maggie Gauthier

EIC & Co-Campus Correspondent 2018-2019