London Places Bid for 2019 JUNO Awards; What Western University Students Really Think

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

London’s city council has unanimously voted to contribute $500,000 to Tourism London’s bid of $1.7 million to host one of Canada’s biggest music related events in 2019.  

The JUNO ​Awards

The JUNO Awards have been recognizing Canadian artists and bands since the 1970s, hosting yearly shows across the nation. Despite being a large Canadian event, with millions of viewers per year and performances by well-known Canadian artists such as the Weeknd and the Strumbellas, some Western University students remain unaware of the award show.

“I didn’t know what the JUNO Awards were until you interviewed me,” said Petra Samardzija, second year Medical Science student.

With the possibility of hosting the award show, London hopes to generate an economic boom and gain nation-wide attention, according to an article by the London Free Press.

“On one hand, I think that it would be good publicity for the city of London, but on the other, I think that it is an unnecessary cost,” said Michelle Li, second year Economics student.

Despite holding the Canadian Country Music Association Awards in 2016, London has never hosted an event as large as the JUNO Awards.

The 2018 JUNO Awards are scheduled to be held in Vancouver, British Columbia.

Do you tune into the JUNO Awards? Let us know what you think in the comment section below!