Less Chasing, More Finding: Finding The Right Guy is Less Work Than You Think

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Two summers ago, I had reached the point where I was ready to give up on the whole idea of dating. Too many failed past relationships led to negative feelings towards men in general.  Were there even any good guys left?  Or were they all taken already?  I contemplated this thought quite regularly. After a lot of thinking, I realized that maybe I was doing something wrong. Maybe I should take a break from the hunt and focus more on myself and my needs and interests for a while. I was placing too much attention on the fact that I was alone.

The summer of 2012 I did exactly that. I had a dry, boy-free summer. It wasn’t dry in the sense that I didn’t go out and do things  It was more in the way that I steered my interests in a direction far away from meeting new guys  I pursued a personal journey that summer, and you know what?  It worked. 

When I returned to school that fall I met a wonderful guy who is now my boyfriend of over a year. I’m the happiest I’ve ever been in my life thanks to that gentleman, and instead of going out and looking for him, I let him find me. I learned from this experience that it should be less about the chase and more about the actual find.  So many young people get caught up in the excitement of the chase: “Is he going to text me”, “How long should I wait before I talk to him”.  There are so many silly unwritten rules out there that people base their actions off of when looking for a partner.  You are more likely to get hurt if you get too involved in the chase.

It’s as simple as Gigi’s experience in He’s Just Not That Into You. At the right time, it will happen. You’ll meet that person, and you won’t have to chase him because he’ll find you.

My name is Brooke Horrobin and I'm going into my 4th year at UWO. I'm pursuing a bachelor degree with a major in Political Science and a minor in Health Science. I love writing and social media. I'm hoping to pursue a future career in human resources or public relations. I love writing about things that a lot of others can relate to. I have a strong interest in fashion and the college life in general.