This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

To my in-class driving instructor who insisted on finding out if I was virgin then asked me in front of the entire class if by wearing a bikini at the beach I finally lost it,

I am more than a body

To the old man, a complete stranger who called at me from across the street pretending to need my help then took my niceness as an invitation to try to kiss me,

I am more than a body

To my guy friend to whom I confessed my feelings then had try to hook up with me, only to have him say he just wants to be friends and instruct me on how not to give mixed signals,

I am more than a body

To the boy who thought it was okay to stay over because he was “tired” when I asked him multiple times to leave because he still was convinced he was going to get lucky, the boy who kept trying to “get it in” all night when I said no over and over again,

I am more than a body

To the countless boys who felt entitled to my body on the dancefloor because maybe I was showing a little bit of cleavage, or they bought me a drink,

I am more than a body

To every boy who has called me a tease because I said no,

I am more than a body

By saying no, I mean it.

By wanting more than just to hook up, I am not giving you mixed signals. I am giving myself to you until I realize that your intentions are not the same. I can then say no if I please. I can say no whenever I want because my body is never yours. My body is mine and inside my body is a person, a person you never came to know.

By not wanting to hook up with you, I don’t need to have boyfriend, and I don’t need to have a reason.

I am not flattered that you think I am pretty. I am not made for you to look at. Inside my body is a person who is caring and who has so much love to give. Yet, you will never know that.

I am more than a body.

This is the contributor account for Her Campus Western. 
Ariel graduated from Western University in 2017. She served as her chapter's Campus Correspondent, has been a National Content Writer, and a Campus Expansion Assistant. She is currently a Chapter Advisor and Chapter Advisor Region Leader.