This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

In addition to being the HC Western Ontario CC, a HC Chapter Advisor, a full-time student doing a double major, and a human person, I also currently have two internships, and have had multiple internships throughout the past four years. Summer is on its way, and that means that the summer job and internship hunt is on. If you’re scrambling last minute to get that dream internship, don’t worry. There are so many ways that you can land the perfect internship (and even if it isn’t perfect, it’s still a learning experience!). These tips have helped me land all of my internships and opportunities, and I know they will help you, too!

1. Be open to experiences

So many opportunities have kind of fallen into my lap or surprised me. Reply to that post in a Facebook group asking for new club members or writers (this is how I originally joined HC!) and allow yourself to be open. And just because you haven’t done something or had an internship before doesn’t mean that you can’t try it now—internships are all about learning!

2. Be on the lookout

I’ve spent countless hours stalking websites like Intern Queen, Twitter and my school’s career website, looking for opportunities that seemed like a good fit. I have an idea of what I want to do, so I look for opportunities that will be mutually beneficial for both the company and myself. If you have any favorite brands or companies, head to their site and see what job opportunities they have to offer—this gives you a huge advantage, as you are already passionate about the company and have experience with the product! This is how I got two of my last summer jobs.

3. Don’t be afraid to network

If you have people you are comfortable reaching out to, don’t be afraid to do it! You never which of their mutual friends might post on Facebook, looking for an intern in a field you are interested in. On the same note, don’t reach out to people you don’t know at all or aren’t friends with. They won’t want to or be able to vouch for your abilities, and they can tell that you’re just trying to take advantage of their connections.

If you already have an internship, and you do awesome work for them, they will be more likely to refer you to their friends who might need your services. This is a great way to find other opportunities that are a good fit for you.

4. Personalize your cover letter

I love creating unique cover letters for each opportunity that I’m applying to. This shows the company that you’re truly passionate about the company and what they are doing. It doesn’t have to be a full background of the company, but it does help to say why you would be a good fit for that company specifically (beyond just saying that you’re “hardworking and dedicated,” which is essentially a filler phrase that means nothing).

5. Remember that whoever is reading your cover letter or interviewing you is a human

While an interview or a cover letter may seem grossly formal, it’s okay to show that you are human too, by telling a bad joke or laughing at theirs. Interviewing is uncomfortable for both parties, and easing the tension can only make them like you more. (Obviously to an extent. You don’t want your interviews to go down like this).

At the end of the day, they just want what’s best for their business, and you have to show them that hiring you is what’s best for them. Hopefully these tips will help you on your job or internship hunt!