Health Promotions Western

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Room Number:  Visit us in UCC 256 if you need resources or just want to talk!

Tell us more about your organization.

As an amalgamation of the previous Health and Wellness and Sexual Health and Consent Education Services (inception Fall 2016), the Health Promotions service runs out of the USC’s Peer Support Network. We aim to provide education and awareness campus-wide for issues regarding mental health, healthy lifestyles and relationships, alcohol and substance abuse and overall well-being.

How can students get involved/access the service?

Students can access the service by liking/following us on Facebook and Twitter @hpwestern to stay up-to-date with all the initiatives and activities we’ll be running. If interested in volunteering with the service or coordinating it, applications are open late February-Summer of the academic year prior (USC website). However, for some initiatives we do require volunteers and so again, we’d post that on our social media accounts to see who’s free to help.

We’re famous for having coordinated the Mental Health Awareness Week earlier this October, creating the “BlackBox Confessionals: What is Consent?” USC video, and for our world record setting #GetTested event which aims to destigmatize STI testing.

What is one thing you wish more students knew about the group?

I really wish more students were aware of what our group does for them and how we can help them. A simple like on Facebook or follow on Twitter can really help them learn about free crepe making nights, free massages offered on campus, or about how they can be involved in a world record! (Check out our free crepe demo night tomorrow here!)

Anything else you wish to add?

We also run inconjunction with USC Communication #OurRealities edition of Mustang Moment. We feature different people with different experiences and advice on a weekly basis throughout the year to maintain a constant conversation about mental well-being! If anyone would like to be featured, they can message our Facebook page or contact my email: healthpromotions@westernusc.ca.

If students are ever interested in learning more about resources related to mental health and well-being, or sexual health and consent, please visit us at Peer Support Centre Room 256 in the UCC to gain invaluable resources and guidance.

For more info on Health Promotions Western, or to get involved, contact Maher Alazzam at healthpromotions@westernusc.ca!

Ariel graduated from Western University in 2017. She served as her chapter's Campus Correspondent, has been a National Content Writer, and a Campus Expansion Assistant. She is currently a Chapter Advisor and Chapter Advisor Region Leader.