Confessions of a Student Who’s In Way Over Her Head

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

I’m tired.

No, I mean really, really tired. Like the kind of tired you feel in every bone, muscle, organ, tissue, and artery in your body. The kind that makes your head spin, your hands shake, and your eyes burn. The kind that makes your brain work extra hard just to keep yourself from collapsing into sleep.

I’m the girl who does everything. I’m in the fourth-year of my B.A. in English, I work two jobs, I’m a writer and editor for Her Campus and the King’s magazine, and I mentor new university students. I have a long-term boyfriend, close friends, and family. I also need to eat, drink, (maybe) workout, and sleep. When you do all the math, it’s hard to do all of these things in 24 hours.

I guess I’ve always been the type to be on the go. I was never the kid who sat around and did nothing—I danced, did gymnastics, went to karate, played soccer, took vocal lessons, learned to play the piano and guitar, and hung out with friends in my spare time (what spare time I had, anyway). Not having a busy life just wasn’t an option for me; the busier I was, the better. And to some degree, I still feel this way. So, in light of this, and on behalf of all others who are feeling completely overwhelmed right now, here are some confessions of a student who is just way in over her head:

1. 24 hours in a day just isn’t enough.

Seriously, whoever came up with this 24 hour idea really had nothing to do with their time.

2. Your brain never stops.

Even while lying in bed, lights off and in complete silence, my brain is still going through a long list of things to do the next day.

3. What’s free time?

What is this allusive free time? Where can I find it? What does it mean? OH MY GOD!

4. Headaches are a daily occurrence.

I always keep a pack of Ibuprofen/Advil in my bag, and if I forget it, I just want to give up on the day.

5. Working out is nearly impossible.

I get my cardio from running around like a headless chicken. Who needs a gym?

6. It’s hard to keep in touch with friends/family.

And you feel like a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad daughter/grand daughter/sister/aunt/niece/cousin/friend.

7. People look at you and think you’re superwoman.

When really you’re totally dying on the inside.

8. You lose track of the last time you had sex with your partner.

Since when has it been two weeks?! How does this even happen?

9. Caffeine is everything.

Coffee, tea, French vanilla…it’s all a must.

10. You’re always running late.

I don’t remember a time where I wasn’t rushed and/or late. What does it mean to be ‘early’?

11. Putting effort into your appearance is just another chore.

If only it was socially acceptable to never shower and wear sweats 24/7.

12. You never have time for social events.

If there’s an event, I need to know about it at least a month in advance, or it’s just not going to happen.

13. There’s always something that needs to be done.

The list never ends.

14. And when the list does end, you don’t know what to do with yourself.

Life feels so empty. What do I do? Where do I go? How do I act? I need a list!

15. Multitasking isn’t considered a skill anymore; it’s a lifestyle.

Watch me write a paper, read a novel, eat pizza, watch Netflix, and do laundry all at the same time.

16. Bedtime is the best and worst time of day.

It’s the best because SLEEP, but the worst because the day has ended and you still have a million things to do.

17. It’s all just a vicious circle.

Once you’re done one task, there’s always another that needs to be done.

Chapter Advisor for Her Campus and Junior Editor/Writer for Her Campus at Western. You can typically find me in the world of English literature.
This is the contributor account for Her Campus Western.