This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

2017 has been the year of reviving and revamping trends from the 1980-’90s: wide-leg pants, chokers and platform shoes—just to name a few—have all made comebacks this year. Perhaps the most shocking item to make a return to the fashion world is the fanny pack.

Fanny packs, an item previously associated with disposable camera toting tourists and white sneaker wearing seniors, have now become a staple in the fashion world. Stars like Kendall Jenner, Fergie, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Matthew McConaughey have been photographed rocking the item.

The official origin of the fanny pack dates back to the 15th century with small pouches that attached to belts, known as “chatelaines.” In the 1980s, the chatelaine reemerged but with a different name and an altered design: the chatelaine was renamed “the fanny pack” due to the way it was worn. Most often, people wore fanny packs around their waist with the pouch sitting above their derrière—or “fanny”.

Fanny packs from the ’80s were bulky. Most had multiple pockets and a thick waistband. However, the trend fizzled out quickly and by the late ’90s, anyone seen wearing a fanny pack was committing a major fashion faux pas.

Designers have since revised the look of fanny packs for contemporary fashion, first reappearing in Fall 2016 runway shows and since gaining widespread popularity.

The hands-free pouch was a hit at Spring 2018 shows; luxury brands including Balenciaga, Prada and Gucci all debuted modernized versions of the ’80s hit and rebranded it the “waist pack” or “belt bag.”

The new design brought a sleeker, more trendy look—designers have made fanny packs more compact by removing excessive pockets. Previously, fanny packs were typically made out of polyester or nylon; designers are now opting for fabrics such as leather and velvet while adding details like rhinestones and fringes. The waistband is also much thinner than before.

Another change to the fanny pack is the way in which people are wearing it. Many people are choosing to wear it as a cross-body bag rather than around their waist.

While the fanny pack trend started at runway shows and was first adapted by celebrities and fashion icons, mainstream brands including Aritzia, Herschel Supply Company and H&M have also released redesigned versions of the classic item.

In such a busy, fast-paced world, fanny packs are the perfect hands-free alternative to a purse: they’re small, light-weight, versatile and gender neutral. The days of large clutches and bulky handbags are gone: most fanny packs are big enough to hold a phone, wallet and maybe even a few beauty essentials. What else do you need?

Fanny packs are no longer just for soccer dads. The trend has solidified its place in mainstream fashion as both a stylish and practical alternative to traditional handbags and shoulder-bags. The fanny pack— now the waist bag—is here to stay.

What ’80s trend will make a comeback next? Legwarmers? Perms?