This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Welcome to Clubs Spotlight, a series where we’re looking at different clubs all across Western’s campus! Want your club to be featured next? Email us at western@hercampus.com for more information!

This week we sat down with Sumiha Karunagaran, President of Western Crafting for a Cure!

Western Crafting for a Cure is one of Western’s largest clubs, with nearly 200 active members. A chapter of the international registered charity Crafting for a Cure, they recruit and train Western student volunteers to lead free, weekly craft workshops at organizations across London. The club is currently partnered with the Parkwood Institute at St. Joseph’s Health Care London, Ronald McDonald House and the Boys and Girls Club of London, and they’re looking to expand their reach by partnering with more local organizations in the future. Aside from their work in the community, Crafting for a Cure also organizes art-related social and fundraising events for their Western members throughout the school year.

1. What’s your role in the club?

“Being the President of the club, my main role is overseeing all the activities in both the volunteering and fundraising sectors of the club. We are very fortunate to have 15 dedicated executive members who work tirelessly to keep the club running smoothly and who make my job much easier and more enjoyable.”

2. What’s one initiative your club is undertaking this year that you’re excited about?

“For the first time ever, Crafting for a Cure will be partnering with the Western Meditation Society (the club who blessed Western with goat yoga) to organize a Paint and Meditate night for Western students. It will take place on April 9th from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the UCC in the Community Room. The night will encompass a relaxing, instructed paint-along with guided meditations throughout to give participants the ultimate art therapy experience. You will not only go home with a beautiful spring-themed painting but also with a healthier and more rejuvenated mind that is ready to tackle the upcoming exam season. Tickets will be $15 and can be purchased in person at our booth at the UCC/Taylor library or via e-transfer. Spots are limited; so if you’re interested, make sure to check out our Facebook for more information. We can’t wait to see you there!”

Photo courtesy of Crafting for a Cure

3. Why should people join your club?

“Unique from many other Western-associated non-profit organizations, our efforts mainly contribute to making a local difference. It is a wonderful experience being fully immersed in a charity’s initiatives throughout the year and seeing first-hand the beautiful impact we, as students, are capable of making in our surrounding communities. Beyond the benefits of giving back, we also advocate for art therapy as being a powerful tool for relieving stress. Join Western Crafting for a Cure in September 2019 for an all-around, truly rewarding club experience.”

Photo courtesy of Crafting for a Cure

4. What opportunities are there for people to get involved with your club?

“We are always recruiting volunteers to help lead our craft workshops at various locations in London. We also encourage passionate Western students to apply to our executive team for a valuable learning experience. Follow us on Facebook to stay updated on how you can get involved.”

Speed Round:

Tims or Starbucks: Starbucks but only for their medium roast + double chocolate brownie

Go to Spoke Order: Mushroom swiss with cucumber dill + iced coffee half sweet

Fave London Party Spot: My fridge after a night out

Study Spot: Anywhere in close proximity to food

Fave London Restaurant: Renato’s (for all you Italian lovers)

King Richie’s, yes or no? Richie is forever my KING

To find out more about Western Crafting for a Cure, you can follow them on Facebook or email them at craftingforacure.club@westernusc.ca.