Club Spotlight: Purple Spur Society

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Welcome to Clubs Spotlight, a series where we’re looking at different clubs all across Western’s campus! Want your club to be featured next? Email us at western@hercampus.com for more information!

This week we sat down with Holly Stevens, President of the Purple Spur Society!

The Purple Spur Society is the oldest and biggest social club on campus, founded in 1942. They are dedicated to creating a fun and memorable student experience, supporting student athletes, and giving back to the community. Each year they pick a charity to fundraise for throughout the school year. This year, the charity is Jack.org, a mental health organization dedicated to erasing the stigma around mental health issues. In past years, they have raised over $25,000 for each charity.

1. What’s your role in the club?

My role in the club is the President! I’m responsible for overseeing our executive team, helping to plan events, maintaining relationships with event venues and members, and creating a memorable experience for all our members.

2. What’s one initiative your club is undertaking this year that you’re excited about?

This year, Spur is planning a number of wellness events to help promote positive mental health. We want to help our members who are struggling and provide support for anyone who is experiencing, or knows someone who is experiencing, mental health struggles.

3. Why should people join your club?

People should join our club because we put on the best events both on campus and off! Anything from bar events, dances, coffee houses, and away games to support our sports teams! All of the proceeds from our events go directly to supporting our charity of the year, so you can feel good about where your time and money is going.

4. What opportunities are there for people to get involved with your club?

Starting this week, we will have opportunities for first year students to apply to be club executives. We also have opportunities to join our fashion show team which will be happening in late September!

Speed Round:

Tim’s or Starbucks: Starbucks

Go to Spoke Order: Plain bagel toasted with butter, cheese, and bacon

Fave London Party Spot: Belfort

Study Spot: International Building

Fave London Restaurant: Hi-Fi Campus Diner

King Richie’s, yes or no? No (I hate pizza!!!)

To find out more about the Purple Spur Society, you can follow them on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.