5 Ways To Make This Semester Your Best One Yet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

As winter break comes to an end, I’m sure that we’re all asking the same question: where did the time go? Before you start worrying about how little work you did over the break and how you’re going to get back into the mood to start doing homework again, let’s make it easy for you with a list. With these five tactics, you can think freely about your plans for the summer without having to worry about the upcoming semester:

1. Make a list of your goals for the upcoming semester/year.

These can be academic goals, such as doing (almost) all of your readings, going to all of your classes, or handing in essays and projects on time. Or if they’re social goals, maybe you’ll go out less or spend more time with certain friends. Personal goals are a big one: maybe you want to dedicate more time to the gym, work towards better sleeping habits, or make more time for yourself. Whatever goals you choose, be sure to write them down and put them up somewhere in your room. It’ll be easier to stick to them if you’re constantly reminded of them.

2. Prepare your work area.

Make sure you’ve unpacked everything in your room and cleared off your desk before the semester begins. It’ll be hard to make time to do so once school gets going. An organized room means an organized mind and, hopefully, having a clean workspace will make you feel more inclined to start on any work.

3. Make a list of all of your Professor’s/TA’s office hours.

It takes fifteen minutes max to find them in the syllabus and type or write them out. Be sure to put these up somewhere where they’re easy to find; it’s harder to make excuses not to go to office hours when the info is accessible and in your face. It’s also a great way to remind yourself that help is never too far away, and this way, you can also plan ahead of time to visit them.

4. Buy yourself an agenda.

Knowing how you plan to keep yourself organized will not only help you throughout the year, but it will also help to relieve any nerves relating to the pressures of school because you can plan ahead! Find one that works for you: there are the free ones that the USC gives out every year, each filled with school events, holidays, and fun facts. But there are always more options at the Bookstore, Walmart, Staples, and Chapters (if you’re looking for function as well as beauty, Chapters is a must). Plan your attack strategies now so that you won’t have to during the year!

5. Find things to look forward to.

Are you taking a course that you really like or one that you’ve always wanted to try? Is there a friend that you haven’t seen since before winter exams? Are you ready to have your squad back in formation and by your side so that you can stir up some trouble together? No matter what you pick, staying focused on a positive aspect that comes with the beginning of the semester will ensure that you begin the semester on a high note.

Here’s hoping that, once you complete this list, you are feeling prepared to be happy and happy to be prepared!

Alero is a fourth year student at Western University. She is pursuing an Honours degree in Creative Writing & English and is looking forward to post-graduation plans. Her dream job would be something where she could either write or read for the rest of her life - preferably both.
This is the contributor account for Her Campus Western.