5 Fun Ways to Have A Quarantine-Safe New Year’s Eve

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

I think I speak for everyone when I say I’m ready to leave 2020 in the rear-view mirror. But hey, might as well go out with a bang, right? Although London is in lockdown, there’s still plenty of opportunities to have fun while also being safe! Here are five quarantine-safe ways you can celebrate this December 31st.

1. Watch the Ball Drop and Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve

Even though we’re in quarantine, both the famous Times Square Ball Drop and Dick Clark’s celebration will still be taking place virtually. Ryan Seacrest will return with his co-host Lucy Hale to help us ring in the new year at 8pm ET on ABC. For those of us who don’t have cable, you can also watch the event on Hulu Live TV which offers a free one-week trial. This year Jennifer Lopez will be headlining the event along with performers such as Billy Porter and Cyndi Lauper.

As it nears midnight, you can also live stream the renowned New York ball drop on the Times Square official website.

2. Buy some sparkling wine

What’s New Year’s Eve without some bubbly drinks to celebrate? There are many sparkling wine options at the LCBO that are under $20! Also, if you want to be extra fancy you could stop by your local Dollarama and buy some champagne flutes to celebrate in style.

If you’re feeling ambitious, you could also make some New Year’s Eve cocktails. Here’s a list of some fun and simple cocktails you can try! I’m definitely adding the grapefruit mimosas to the top of my list.  

But, if you’re in the mood for some non-alcoholic alternatives, a go-to for me and my family are the Gavioli sparkling juices which can be found at Sobeys. I would highly recommend either the red grape or mixed berry flavour.

3. Host a video call with your friends

Speaking of alcohol, who says you can’t still drink with your friends over video chat? There’s nothing wrong with virtually partying with your friends from your own home! In my experience, Zoom and Google Meet seem to be the best video chatting options that don’t make your computer fan sound like it’s going to launch into space.

For this virtual gathering, you and your friends could dress up or down as you count down to 2021.

4. Have a snack-making competition

While you’re on your video call or hanging with your roommates/family, this could be a great way to kill time before midnight. Plus, as an added bonus, you get to eat all the snacks once you’re done! This could range from a full-on charcuterie board to a simple spinach dip and bread. If you want some more ideas, here’s a list of New Year’s Eve appetizers that you could make. I’m definitely going to try those lasagna grilled cheese bites.

So, as the night goes on, have fun amongst your friends debating which snack you think tastes (or looks, if over video call) the best.

5. Watch movies or play games together

Speaking of being “amongst” one another, you and your friends could also play the popular quarantine game Among Us as you wait for midnight. You could also browse the various free games that Discord provides if you’d like to play other virtual games together.

If you happen to be in person with your roommates or family, you could also play some card or board games to pass the time. A family-favourite of mine is the game Sorry!. Nothing like a little competition to get the party started.

But, if you’re feeling like just sitting back and relaxing, watching movies can also be a fun way to kill multiple hours. You can watch as a group with your family on the couch or through a video chat using Netflix Party with your friends.

However you choose to celebrate, just remember there are still plenty of ways to have fun while being quarantine-safe! Although options are a little more low-key this year, feel free to celebrate as the clock strikes midnight with all the confetti poppers and sparklers you desire. As 2021 begins, don’t forget to have a toast with your loved ones to celebrate all the incredible experiences you’ll have in the New Year.