Top 5 Places to Visit in Toronto to Get you in the Holiday Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

With many of us bummed out about not being able to see extended family or friends during the holidays this year, there’s no doubt that we’re all looking for a few ways to get in the holiday spirit that are COVID-precaution-friendly. Toronto is such an amazing city to see. For those looking for a list of fun activities (that are still available this season), look no further! Here’s a list of my top 5 places to go in Toronto that will get you in the holiday spirit. 

5. Ontario Place Drive-In Theatre

Located right on Lake Ontario, Ontario Place—once a theme park—is now being used as a drive-in theatre! By the end of November, they’ll be playing many holiday classics such as The Muppet Christmas Carol and Frozen II! They charge $10 per passenger!

4. Casa Loma’s Holiday Light Tour

One of Toronto’s most beautiful landmarks, Casa Loma hosts a light show each year where the iconic castle is decorated in festive lights and they allow people to tour! These lights are nothing short of stunning and will definitely make for some amazing holiday photos. This event is available from December 3rd to 26th. Ticket prices range from $35.00-$43.00, as the more expensive ticket includes a hot chocolate and cookie. 

3. Window Shopping on Yonge Street

At the intersection of Bloor and Yonge street, the windows of department stores are decorated like no other! Stores such as Hudson’s Bay, Holt Renfrew and Saks Fifth Avenue put on beautiful holiday displays that can’t be missed. The best part is that window shopping is free! Unless, of course, you end up going inside; that’s a whole different story. 

2. Pearson Airport Holiday Drive-Through

For the first time, Pearson International Airport has transformed one of its multi-level parking structures into a beautiful holiday experience! Each level of the parking structure varies in decor, including immersive LED light tunnels, a winter wonderland, a glimpse of real Santa and many other holiday decorations. Don’t forget to turn holiday music on in the car to get the full experience. Prices per car range from $55 during the week to $65 on weekends.

1. Skating at Nathan Phillips Square

The most iconic of them all, Toronto’s Nathan Phillips Square located just beside City Hall is definitely the most beautiful sight to see in the winter. The beautiful park and courtyard are transformed into a skating rink in December, where people can enjoy the winter weather beside the Toronto sign. Skating is absolutely free, unless you are looking to rent skates! Rentals cost $5 for children and $10 for adults.

There is no doubt that this year’s holiday season will look completely different from years past. Hopefully, some of the activities on this list will be able to add just a little bit of holiday cheer to all those that could use it right now! In these times, it’s important to find some fun in any way possible while staying safe and healthy. Happy Holidays!