15 Signs You Are in An Emotionally Abusive Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Just because you can’t see it, doesn’t mean it isn’t there.

Unlike physical abuse, which is hard to conceal, emotional abuse can be happening without a person being aware. Someone who is being physically abused can better understand that they are in an abusive situation however; this can be much harder for people in emotionally abusive relationships. In some cases, neither the abuser nor the victim may even recognize that what is going on, or what is considered abuse.

Emotional abuse involves a regular pattern of verbally abusive language, bullying, intimidation and manipulation. Emotional abusers tend to use this language to gain control over their victim in a given relationship. This type of abuse can come from both a man or a woman, and studies show that both men and women are almost equally likely become victim to mental and emotional abuse. Emotional abuse can also come in other forms such as family, friend, and coworker relationships. It is very important that young men and women recognize what is considered to be emotionally abusive in order for them to escape a toxic relationship. Below are 15 signs that you may be experiencing emotional abuse and what to do if you feel you are in an abusive relationship.

1. They regularly criticize you in front of family, friends, and co-workers

2. They constantly tell you that your opinions and feelings are “wrong”

3. They tell you which friends you are “allowed” to see

4. They try to keep you away from your friends and family

5. They don’t want you to have a job or go to school, in order to spend more time with them

6. They tell you that you are not good enough and no one will ever love you like they do

7. They belittle your accomplishments, your aspirations, your plans and your goals

8. They threaten to physically harm you if you leave

9. They threaten to physically harm themselves if you leave

10. They call and text you multiple times a day to check up on you and see where you are

11. They use money to control your actions

12. They make you feel as though they act the way they do because they “love” you

13. They use things you share such as a house, car, pets or children in order to keep you with them

14. They blame their unhappiness or depression on you

15. They look through your phone and social media without your permission

Above is only a short list of signs that you may be in an abusive relationship. Above all, if your partner constantly makes you feel unhappy and worthless, this is a good sign that something is wrong. Trust your gut and do your research to fully understand your situation.

If you do find yourself in an emotionally abusive relationship, there are many ways to get help at Western and in the London community. Below you will find a list of resources which will help you should you decide to seek assistance in leaving a partner, or getting help for the abusive you have endured. Remember that no matter what your partner says, you are an important and loved individual who does not deserve to be treated any less than perfect. If you believe you are in an abusive relationship, please seek help and assistance.

Where to look for help:

• Student Health Services: 519-661-3030 UCC Rm 11 (lower level)

• Student Development Centre: 519 661-3031 WSS Rm 4100

• Campus Community Police Services: 519-661-3300

• London Crisis Response Line: 519-433-2023

Third year university student with a passion for reading, writing, and chicken fingers
This is the contributor account for Her Campus Western.