10 Things You Should Know Before Using the Western Gym (For The First Time)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

This week is Body Health and Image Awareness Week at HC Western Ontario. #HCLoveYourBody

Maybe you’ve been here for a year… two years… or three. Maybe the gym just isn’t your thing. Maybe you’re afraid or intimidated to go. Well, for those who would like to take the plunge and venture out to Western’s awesome facility, I’m here to give you a few tips to make it a bit less scary. 

1. LOCKS: If you’re coming for class with your bag, or if you want to lock up your outdoor shoes and phone, be sure to bring 50 cents to rent a lock from the service table downstairs — it’s located just down the stairs to the left. HINT: When using the rented locks you must NOT forget to bring the attached armband with you to the gym, your passcode is written on it so you don’t forget! Be sure to remember the locker number you are using as well. When you’re done, make sure to turn the dial clockwise around 0 twice before entering the combo to unlock your stuff after your workout… and return the borrowed lock to the service counter when you’re done.  

2. SHOES: Well, I hope you’re aware that running shoes are required at the gym. Make sure to bring yours to change into. Soaking boots will get you kicked out… real fast. Running in UGGs is not okay. 

3. OUTFIT: Wear something comfortable, but don’t wear big cotton sweatpants… you’ll get way too hot! Also, you aren’t allowed to wear just sport’s bras. SORRY, but you’ll get kicked out… which can be awkward. Wear a baggy sports t-shirt — you know, something from high school, or an actual fitness top. Also, don’t wear shorts that are just going to ride up your butt the whole time. Picking your crack in front of buff guys for an hour isn’t ideal. 

4. WATER: Bring a water bottle — you’ll need it. Keep yourself hydrated so you won’t pass out. Also make sure you eat — not too much, but enough to keep you going. 

5. MAKE-UP: Don’t wear it. You’ll get headshakes, dirty looks, and someone will likely rant about how stupid you look on USecrets. You’re not there to impress anyone, so keep it simple. Dripping sweaty makeup isn’t a good look for anyone, unless you cry beautiful black tears like Lauren Conrad. 

6. NAILS: Don’t take your freshly laid manicure set to the gym, especially if they’re press on’s or gel. Long nails will look absolutely ridiculous on you while holding a weight like a princess holds a teacup. You also risk having a very painful and embarrassing nail break that will make you cry… like the princess you are. 

7. HAIR: Tie it back, braid it, bun it. Don’t leave it down. If you do, it will get stuck to your neck (gross) and fly into your eyes. It’s a hazard to you and everyone else. 

8. EARPHONES: Bring them! You’ll love listening to music walking to and from the gym, and especially when you’re working out! Having a good playlist with music to pump you up will really keep you going. Think Nicki Minaj, not Bon Iver. 

9. PHONE: Either don’t bring it, lock it up, or use it (but only as your iPod). Don’t be that girl texting the whole time while on a machine someone else is waiting to use. It’s annoying, and people who are there to actually work out will hate you. Also, NEVER take a picture of yourself working out. Just DON’T, EVER. No one cares. 

10. STUDENT CARD: DON’T FORGET IT. You need it to get in and you need it to rent a lock. Don’t get all the way there after hours of convincing yourself to go, just to realize you’ve forgotten it at home. 

Stay healthy. Good luck brave soul.

Kellie Anderson is incredibly proud and excited to be Western Ontario's Campus Correspondent for the 2015-2016 year. She is currently in her fourth year of Media Information & Technoculture, and has an overflowing passion for creative writing. While Kellie loves to get wildly creative while writing fictional short stories, she has found that her true passion is in shedding light towards hard-hitting topics like Mental Illness - she believes that writing is the best healer. Kellie has some pretty BIG plans for her future and can't wait to graduate as a Her Campus Alumni! You can contact her at kellieanderson@hercampus.com.
Alexie is a graduate from The University of Western Ontario where she majored in English and minored in both Writing and Anthropology. She is now a graduate student at Western, where she is completing a Masters of Media in Journalism and Communications. Reality TV junkie and social media addict (follow her on instagram: @alexie_elisa and twitter: @AlexieRE_Evans), Alexie is ecstatic to be on the alum team of HC Western Ontario after loving being the campus correpondent in her undergrad!