you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why An Internship Is Worth It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

As we make our way through university- and inevitably panic over what we’re going to be when we grow up (Which is sooner than we think), clubs and internships seem to be the best way to prove that we’re taking our future seriously. For those of you who still aren’t sure that an internship is what you need, here are five reasons that an internship can be great.

1. You get to learn if the job is what you really want.

We’re not always sure what we want. You may go into university in one program and end up graduating with something completely different. An internship is a great way to see what your future job would actually look like, so you can decide if that field is right for you.

2. You can get real experience in your field. 

Getting a job after graduation isn’t the easiest thing. It seems that today every job needs a crazy amount of experience in order to be considered. An internship is a great way to be able to enter your field and pad the resume as well.

3. You can make connections with people in your field. 

While having experience is great, having someone that can back that experience is even better. These connections can also be fantastic for when you’re job-hunting in the future. Networking is key in most industries today, so making connections is always a good idea.

4. You can make friends. 

An internship isn’t all work and no play. Building relationships with employees and other interns can be amazing. Other interns are going through the same experience as you, so they’re natural allies for navigating your new field.

5. You can have a lot of fun. 

Although an internship is a lot of hard work, (it is a job after all) it can also be a lot of fun. Entering your industry, learning the ropes and meeting new people are all fantastic things.

While unpaid internships can be an intimidating thing to take on, they can be totally worth it. Learning and growing is the best thing for your future career, so don’t be afraid to take on something new and exciting.

Hello! I graduated from my masters in journalism in 2018 and have carried my passion for writing.
Amanda is a National Intern, Style and Beauty Blogger and a Chapter Advisor for Her Campus. She is doing a double major in criminology and sociology at Western University. She is a proud member of Alpha Gamma Delta - Zeta Chi chapter, and makes 99% of her decisions based off of WWEWD (what would Elle Woods Do?). Follow her on instagram @amanda_h_jones, and listen to her talk about makeup *a bit* more than usual at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m-7cOzh_oI&t=237s