Why Hermione Granger Should Be Every Girl’s Role Model

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Growing up, we all have those people that we look up to and admire. These people can sometimes be a family member, a friend, an actor or actress, an athlete, and so on—the list goes on forever. In my own opinion, however, we can often admire people who are not particularly admirable and can actually be toxic to the way we view ourselves. So, on behalf of all women—young and old—here’s why I think every girl’s role model should be Harry Potter’s Hermione Granger (aka Emma Watson):

1. She’s incredibly smart and is not afraid to show it.

Young girls have been told way too often that smart girls aren’t attractive. Hermione, on the other hand, takes pride in her intelligence and shows girls that it’s okay to be nerdy.

2. She follows the rules but also understands that sometimes rules need to be broken to do the right thing.

If Hermione’s breaking rules, you know it’s for the greater good. Sometimes we all need to break a few rules to do what’s best for ourselves and/or for the people around us.

3. She’s sassy AF.

Nothing gets past Hermione—and she’ll 100% call you out on it, so don’t try to disrespect her or her friends.

4. She would do anything for her friends.

Including wiping her parent’s memories of her so she can participate in the great war. Trust me, Hermione is #friendgoals.

5. She’s fierce.

If you’re going to pull a Malfoy and be straight up mean, just know that Hermione will never stand for this. Not only will she blast you with her sass, she’ll also stand up for her and put you in your place.

6. She loves to read.

Hermione can appreciate a good book, and she’s always trying to prove to her friends just how great books can be. All of her reading pays off because she ends up being the brightest witch of her age.

7. She shows young girls that it’s okay (and actually pretty awesome) to be the warrior.

Hermione’s no damsel in distress: she can save herself. And quite often, she’s the one saving everyone else.

8. She doesn’t try to be someone else.

Hermione always stays true to herself and her friends, and she doesn’t let other people get in the way of her goals.