The Lalapink Beauty Products
The Lalapink Beauty Products
Her Campus Media
Style > Beauty

You Might Not Actually Need to Moisturize. Here’s Why

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

Given that the world of skincare is so convoluted and nuanced, there are thousands of different opinions on what you need in your skincare routine. Since the 10-Step Korean skincare routine gained popularity in the U.S over the years, having an array of multiple skincare items has become somewhat of a norm. However, many dermatologists believe that most of these products are not necessary to obtain and maintain clear skin. Below are some popular skincare items that you actually might not need. 

1. Toner

Toner is an essential piece of the traditional 3-step skincare routine. Cleanse, tone, moisturize. However, toner is not as essential as you might think. The purpose of a toner is to remove any excess makeup or dirt left over after cleansing. However, if your face is not all the way clean after cleansing, that is a sign that you need a better cleanser. Another popular reason for using a toner is to shrink your pores. Unfortunately, pore size is something you are born with, and no product will change the appearance of your pores. Some products that make this claim can cause more damage to your pores and cause irritation, like pore strips and peel off masks do. If you are concerned about getting the makeup off your skin, instead of using a toner that will leave a little effect on your skin and can dry you out, I recommend the oil cleansing method. The oil cleansing method is cleaning off your makeup with an oil or balm cleanser before you go in with your normal cleanser. This combination will effectively take off your dirt and makeup without drying out your skin. 

2. Eye Cream 

Some people swear by eye cream for its anti-aging or depuffing effects. However, a lot of dermatologists out there will call it out for just being an overpriced moisturizer. Think of it like hand lotion and body lotion. You can buy a hand lotion that claims to have more hydrating ingredients than body lotions, but it is not necessarily true, and you can get that same hydration by just moisturizing your hands with body lotion. The same applies to eye creams as opposed to general facial moisturizers. Some dermatologists claim that the anti-aging claims that eye creams make are not very accurate since it is extremely difficult or near impossible to reverse the signs of aging. As far as depuffing goes, running an ice cube under your eyes for a few seconds will do the same, and you will save tons of money! 

3. Moisturizers 

This claim is the most controversial here, but hear me out. Most people do not need moisturizer! Not only do you probably not need it, but it can also actually be detrimental to your skin. The skin has a natural process of hydrating itself, and when you introduce creams and gels, it interferes with the process. When the skin gets used to being provided with external moisture, it stops producing its own that not only makes you dependent on a product but also makes your skin drier. Plus, many moisturizers provide the perfect breeding ground for certain bacterias, which can cause acne and other skin problems. It turns out that the only people who need moisturizers are those who suffer from extremely dry skin or suffer from conditions like eczema or rosacea. If you want to discontinue your moisturizer use, you can replace any creams with a hydrating mist or stop altogether. Your skin will typically take 3-4 weeks to adjust to its withdrawal, and after that point, it will go back to hydrating itself on its own. 

Juliana Elg

West Chester '21

Hi, I'm Juliana Elg! I'm a junior Psychology student with a minor in Global Studies and I'm passionate about writing, telling stories, and helping others. When I'm not studying you can find me going on nature walks and painting.
Contributor account.